08: Michelle Is Not A Good Girl, After All

Michelle is sitting underneath a tree from the many scattered in her school, English 4 book open in her lap. She rereads the assigned lecture for the fifth time as she waits for her mother to pick her up, trying to memorize every detail. She has to pass that test no matter what situation. Today's Wednesday so she only has two more days to study before her exam in Victorian poetry.

  As she continues reading, her phone vibrates inside her bag. Lazily, she takes it out and reads the text message from Mrs. Perkins, "I can't pick you up today, but expect your sister's car. Your aunt Gemma is freaking out since your cousin's wedding is in two days! Sorry."

  Michelle groans, putting her English book inside her bag. Charlotte always leaves the house to see her boyfriend and Michelle dislikes being alone. And her father? Well, at his other home: his office. As Michelle stands up, her sister honks her car twice to grab her attention. Other students look at Michelle. In embarrassment, she takes long steps towards her sister's blue Nissan.

  "How was your day, huh?" Charlotte asks, starting the engine. It's burning hot inside the car, yet Charlotte reveals no sign of sweat. In the back seats rest many uncared, college books for her psychology class.

  "Don't act like a mother. Doesn't fit you," Michelle responds, putting her seatbelt on. Charlotte gives a quick laugh as they drive home at full speed. Lady Gaga is playing in the stereo with the volume all the way up and Charlotte singing, or more like screaming, all the lyrics. It's funny though to see Charlotte act so freely and careless. When her mother is around, she's always polite and a delicate sunflower.

  Thankfully, they park in front of the house and Michelle gets down with her bag. The car leaves without even waiting for Michelle to open the front door, which she has extra keys for. The house is quiet and cold from the inside, her mother's scent of lavender fills every room.

  Michelle grabs a strawberry PopTart from the kitchen cabinets before walking upstairs to her room. Out of nowhere knocks interrupt her from leaving the kitchen. Slowly, she walks to the door and opens it for her to peek. Her hands shake at who she sees.

  A tall man in a black suit with a purple tie stands there, facing Michelle with a wide grin. His hair is tinted into dark caramel, like Joseph's.

  "Michelle! I finally get to see you," he says, stepping forward. She doesn't open the door more for him to walk in so he stops.

  "You can't be here. My sister's home," Michelle blurts out.

  "You're not a good liar, you know? I just saw Charlotte leave." The man keeps staring at her, acting smart.

  "Have you been stalking me?" Michelle yells.

  "Let me in." He doesn't answer her question. And she does, opening the door wide while looking at her neighbors' house to see if anyone's watching. Luckily, no one is.

  Once inside, the man takes his black suit off, leaving his tie and button-up shirt on. He checks around the living room quietly and leaves his keys in the living room table.

  "What do you want?" asks Michelle, feeling her heartbeat in her chest. He faces her, green eyes piercing. As he walks to her, Michelle steps back until hitting the wall behind her. Can't he leave? He grabs both of her cheeks and leans in until no space is left between them. Lips in touch.

  Michelle pushes him away with all her strength. "We can't do this anymore, David!" She wipes her lips with her sleeves.

  "Why not? You are no longer with Joseph," he insists. He rests a hand on his forehead and sighs.

  "Joseph is your son! And besides, you're older than me because remember I'm still seventeen. This is illegal," Michelle growls, whispering the last sentence.

  Mr. Gilbert sits on her father's leather couch, lost for a moment. "But what happened the last time you came to our house—"

  "—was a mistake!" Michelle interrupts as thoughts pop into her head. She's in a warm, white bed and besides her lays Mr. Gilbert—both of them naked. Feeling dizzy at such sight, Joseph resting in her mind. "I was drunk that night I stayed at your house. David, I came in to talk to Joseph because something was going on in my house and I had too many shots. I have no idea how I ended in your bed, okay?"

  He stands up, eyes red. "You're lying. You enjoyed it as much as I did!" As soon as he yells that, Michelle hears a car parking outside. She runs to the window and peeks through the curtains. It's Charlotte.

  "My sister's here! You have to leave," Michelle begs, grabbing his keys and throwing them at him.

  Charlotte gets off her car, pulling the handle to check if it's locked. It is.

  Michelle jogs with David to the back door. Her legs feeling sleepy due to her fast heartbeat.

  Outside, Charlotte stares at David's car in confusion while walking through the pathway. In the end, she shrugs and gets the keys from her MC purse.

  Michelle unlocks the door and pushes David out. His smell of cologne and cigarettes in her nose proving her that this is actually happening.

  Charlotte slips the key into the doorknob and twists it.

  "Promise me we'll talk," David says, stopping Michelle from closing the back door with his foot. She nods and he takes his foot off, closing the door completely.

  "What were you doing?" Charlotte asks from behind her, staring with one eyebrow up.

  "I thought someone was outside. Just checking," Michelle explains, trying to sound normal.

  Charlotte turns around and grabs her phone. Is she going to dial her mother? Did she see what was going on inside?

  "Do you want Chinese food?" she asks. "I'm starving."

~

A\N: That was a close one, Michelle. Can she be careful next time? Like and comment! 💋