Chapter 15: Triades

Start from the beginning

"Yes Rose. They're not towels. Speaking of towels, there's a bathroom down the hall from the study you could use. There's towels in the linen closet," he instructs while walking away into the kitchen. "I'll put the kettle on while you change. Take your time."

"Wait–"

Again, I couldn't say anything.
Ugh, it's like he says something and then leaves immediately right after so that I don't have time to respond. I didn't ask for his clothes.

With my cheeks slightly red, I gave a sigh and dragged myself to the bathroom. At least I would be able to get out of my wet top and this stupid school skirt we were forced to wear. Normally my stocking offered me extra peace of mind, but standing under his gaze like that in the kitchen, it felt like everything was exposed. I was glad to have actual long pants now because I don't think I could survive another round of his staring.

I emerged from the bathroom and headed for the kitchen. As much as I hated to admit, it was a lot warmer in his white, oversized jumper. The jacket stretched down to my mid-thigh, and the sleeves hanged over my fingers a few inches. The pants on the other hand were also way too long; it dangle past my feet so much that I had roll them up or I'd be mopping the floors. But they somehow they fit me well in the waist which was a surprise, despite the length. I didn't think he owned anything 'my size'.

The kettle's whistle sizzled away into a fizz and the steam dematerialized into the air. The curtains were drawn, shielding us from the miserable blue rain outside. And the kitchen lights had been switched on, instantly making the place seem more warm and bright. The lightning from the storm was barely noticeable now under the hot glow of the spot lights shimmering on the granite counter tops.

Mr. Green had his back to me and was busy pouring some water from the kettle into two mugs with each with a tea bag in them. "Ah, so..." I broke into the room hesitantly, "Where was the blowdryer again?"

He turned around holding both mugs in his hands and the instant he saw me, he started to shake. 

"What?" I growled.

Mr. Green stifled a laughter, his hands wobbling unsteadily until he set the mugs down onto the floating island. "You look... comfy," he snickered.

I crossed my arms against my chest and gave him a frown. "Who made me wear this again?"

"Hey, it was the only thing you can fit into. Who called you to be so tiny? You look like you're drowning under my jumper." 

"Tiny? I'm taller than average." I glared at him. 

"Okay," he laughed. "You look fine, don't need to be so embarrassed. Now tell me how do you have your tea?"

"Ah... " I looked away, finding my fingers behind my back.

Darn him, there he went deciding things for me again. I would've declined having tea as I'd already brought my own water bottle. I wondered if I should bring it up but eventually decided to drop it seeing as he's already made it. 

I cleared my throat softly and said sternly. "Ahem. F-four sugars with milk please. Lots of milk." 

"Four sugars?!" Mr. Green yelled. "This isn't a jug Rose, it's a mug."

My face was feeling really warm now. I sat on the a stool and clasping my hands over my red cheeks flustered. "What, how do you have yours then?" I challenged.  Peering into his cup, his double teabag sat unmoved, steeping a dark tinge into the water.

"Straight black of course, how else?" he replied as if it was the only sensible answer in the world. 

I wrinkled my nose. "Right, pardon me. You're one of those."

He chuckled at me. "One of those? At least it's better than what you're having; diabetes in a cup. You know, you kids should really stop having so much sweets."