4

I woke up in my room. As in my room in the palace. I sat up but quickly regretted it. My head throbbed so I laid back down.

"Haidee!" Georgia exclaimed and ran to hug me, "You're awake!"

"What happened?" I asked as I gripped my head, my voice sounded raspy, "Wait. Why am I in here?"

"The prince brought you back." She answered.

I furrowed my brows but then the memories came flashing back. I put my hands over my mouth to keep myself from screaming.

They're dead.

I cried silently. Georgia patted my hair as I did.

"Haidee, you should go downstairs for breakfast. You didn't wake up for dinner yesterday." Georgia whispered.

I shook my head, "I'm not hungry," I said as I wiped my tears away. I took a deep breath, "I don't want to see anyone."

Especially him.

Georgia looked at me with sympathy, "The prince needs to discuss a few things with you."

"About what?" I asked.

"The Selection." She answered.

"What about it? Is he bringing me back?" I asked. I certainly did not want to talk to him about the stupid competition.

She shrugged, "I still don't know yet."

"Just tell him I don't want to talk to him. I really don't want to get out of my room," I said, "I feel dizzy when I get up."

She nodded, "Okay. I'll bring you your breakfast after."

I smiled a little, "Thank you."

She left the room without another word. I looked around the room. Nothing changed. It was still styled the way I liked it. I saw my backpack at the drawer beside me.

Who packed my things?

I don't know what will happen to me now. I don't have a family. Who would kill them?

Rebels?

What did they do to them that they killed them? I want justice. Not only for my family but for Mom, Dad, Aimo, Chantelle and the others who died.

They'll pay.

The door opened and Tony entered holding a tray with my food on it. He gave me a smile, "Hello."

I didn't smile back. I only nodded in acknowledgement. He gave me the tray and sat on my bed.

I stared eating, "What are you doing here? Where's Georgia?"

"I told her I'll bring you your breakfast instead so I can talk to you."

"Do you think I want to talk to you?" I spat.

He was hurt at my words and the look on his face almost made me take my words back. Almost.

He sighed, "I know you're upsetㅡ"

I scoffed, "Who wouldn't? You left me in mid air! I even doubted what you said was true."

He pused his lips and looked at the floor, "It was true, Dee."

"Do you think I'll believe that?" I asked with tears on my eyes, "Do you know how miserable I was the past few days?"

He didn't respond so I continued.

"Do you know how unbearable it was to constantly be reminded of you when I know I don't have a chance anymore?" I questioned, "You don't!"

He looked at me with tears streaming down his face, "I'm sorry."