Chapter 16 - ABEERA

Start from the beginning

"I am sorry, I did not know..." Abeera was not sure why was she apologizing for, maybe the fact that she was blunt or was it that Zareen missed her father and she brought the topic up, even though it was without knowing.

"It was not your fault. You didn't know." Zareen placed her hand on the back of Abeera's head which caused both of them to smile.

"Come on let's take you out. Have you had breakfast yet?" Abeera quickly took her hand and stood up, pulling on it.

"No. Ops..." She had lied to Olasyar back then and now she felt so stupid for both the lie and the truth that she told because for some strange gut feeling she thinks that she will get busted.

"That's great. I mean not great because you did not eat but great because we will eat together. We will get breakfast first and afterward I am taking you for a walk on the streets of this green land." Abeera at a fast pace said so many things that Zareen tried to catch up on but it also hurried her at the same place because she knew Olasyar would be there. Damn it, he just asked me to have breakfast with him and I lied. She thought.

"No!" she quickly halted Abeera and shook her head at her. More lies will make it worse and she cannot tell her the truth either. What would she say? You know that brother of yours, Olsayar Khan, I lied to him about my breakfast because he is acting as a pervert and he tried to hit on me but that's just my gut feeling, huff! She sarcastically passed a comment in her head.

"Come on, yara! We do not have all day. Do you know there is so much to see and how early this town sleeps and I am sure you have work too? Lady, you have no idea what nights are here like and we have to come early too. It's too much work." Abeera kept on talking and talking without the acknowledgment that a very displeased Zareen was tugging on her hand to let go, behind her.

They were almost in the wooden cabin cottage kitchen with a beige theme. There were cups hanging on an ancient but vintage hanging pot in the center, just above the kitchen island that had a cream beige marble surface with few plates over it with four barstools beside the island to sit. There were two people running around the kitchen, a little healthy slightly old man in traditional yellow shalwar kameez and the other was a woman who had a dupatta covering her head with the same kind of shalwar kameez but there was someone else too. A guy was bent towards what looked like a stove as there was light smoke coming from it.

"Wakuri chuk nun warha pakhli kui, Mashallah," Abeera exclaimed pointing out at the man as she giggled away, who Zareen assumed was cooking. The man was in shalwar kameez too but in black. Does everyone wear this around here, Zareen thought and she was happy about it. She liked how they dressed, it had its own charm.

"Excuse me but what." Zareen chuckled as she asked Abeera about what she said. Abeera smiled and made a face remembering that Zareen did not understand Pashto. Mouthing an apology with a smile she was about to speak but she never got a chance.

"Zareen, she was exaggerating that I am cooking today. Kulfi, she is a guest who does not know our language but at least tell her what you are saying." The voice made Zareen scrunch her eyes in the form of experiencing a bad luck. She was sure that Olasyar would be here but she was still hoping that she does not get to encounter him again.

"Lala! Kulfi, At least spare me in front of someone." Zareen knows what a Kulfi was, she had eaten it a lot when she was back home. They always get it after a dinner on a family-Pakistani-treat-day-out kind of a thing but what confused her was that he called Abeera that.

"Hey, people are giving my name out, why should not I do the same, right Zareen?" He still did not turn around but that made Zareen snap her head up at him first, mainly his back but later she looked over at Abeera who had her eyebrows furred in confusion.