“I was born here.” I’m truthful.

The pale man scrunches his nose up appalled, “Really? But the color of your skin… it’s ours.”

I nod. “Is there something wrong with that?”

“What do you want?” The pale man clearly wants me to go away.

I ignore it for the sake of my transportation. “I want to go to the Old World.”

He snorts. “It’s not cheap honey and someone like you who looks like one of us is dangerous to bring back to our World.”

“I have the money, how much?” I hold my bag closer to my body and I’m not sure if I really do have enough, because I can only count up to nine hundred ninety-nine. My mother didn’t get a chance to teach me further than that, and though Rose had tried, life in the Arena was hard and cold so making me more stressed out about what comes after ninety-nine wasn’t wise.

“One million,” he sneers and the men and woman on board burst into a fit of laughter.

I’m not sure what they’re laughing for, but I shrug it off. I open my bag and pull out a stack of cash. They’re eyes go wide when they see the amount and thick stack of hundred dollar bills in my hand. Other noises around them have stopped and I can make out some jaws hanging open. What? Is this not enough? I mentally pout.

“This is ninety-nine hundred thousand dollars in cash.” I say. “How many more will I need to make a million?”

I swear more jaws drop around me, even the man in front of me.

“You only need a dollar left.” Lance says from beside me. “And wow, you’re loaded aren’t you?”

“Lance. Oh thanks, but I don’t have a dollar.” I say worriedly.

Lance laughs and pulls out a dollar bill. “Here.”

I smile and take it. “Thanks!” I dig in my bag and pull out a single hundred dollar bill and put it in his hand. “Here.”

Lance gapes. “This…I can’t take this?!”

“Don’t be silly. You gave the exact change I needed, and were kind enough to help me out here.” I deadpan. “Take it because I’m not taking it back.”

“I couldn’t… Alpha just mind linked all of us to make sure to take care of you while you’re here and not get cheated.” He glares at the pales and looks back at me. “And I couldn’t possibly do that.”

“How are you cheating me? I just gave a bill. Are you saying you’re denying my kindness?” I inwardly laugh as he begins to stutter for words.

“You know,” he sighs exasperatedly, “you remind me of my friend back at the pack house.”

I smile. I look back at the pale man who is now studying me. “What?” I ask. It’s disturbing how I can feel so many eyes on me. They’re different than the ones in the Arena.

“The amount needed indeed is a million dollars in cash, however, when we tell people they’re unprepared for it. You a high ranking official in some pack?” He is displeased by the turn of events.

“Sure is,” Lance answers for me. I look at him and he sends me a reassuring smile. “In fact, our Alpha here has ordered us to pay for her fee. Though, it seems she’s got it covered.”

“Oh, how nice of Jay.” I smile softly.

Lance studies me for a bit before saying. “Of course, he told us to give you the money anyways since you are our guest.”