“Girls,” a gentle voice silences them.

A beautiful woman sat between the two and held their hands in her hand.

She had long black hair and grey eyes that mirrored little Katie’s. Her skin was pale and glowed as if she was the moon herself.

“Why are you two arguing again?” She asks softly.

“Rose is lying! I never heard of that legend!”

Katie’s mom’s eyes regard Rose curiously before she stares at her daughter. “I’ve heard about it, but I never heard the whole legend itself.”

“See!” Katie sticks her tongue out at the red head.

Rose’s eyes begin to tear up. “But, I wasn’t lying.”

Katie’s mom laugh is like music to their ears as she holds Rose lovingly in her arm, “I never said you were.”

Immediately Rose perks up and shows her tongue at Katie, “Told you I wasn’t lying!”

Katie pouts, “I don’t understand mommy.”

Her mother ruffles her hair and hugs her along with the red head. “You two girls have so much to learn.”

Rose’s eyebrows nit together in confusion, “But I’ve already learned a lot, Father even gave me a lot of teachers.”

Katie’s mother’s smile drop and she stares at Rose silently.

“Oh, sorry,” Rose apologizes.

Katie’s mom sends her a small smile “It’s okay, Rose. A child cannot choose the parents they're born from.”

Katie looks between the two and smiles.

I don’t understand a lot of things yet, but I’m happy with just these two.

“Rose,” Katie calls her only friend.

Rose looks at her only friend too.

“Do you believe in the Female Alpha?” Katie asks. “Do you think we’ll be able to communicate with our inner wolves?”

Rose shakes her head, “Nope! Mommy said it wasn’t real! And she says that it’s impossible to have two separate minds in one body.”

Katie looks up into her mother’s eyes that have grown distant. “What about you mommy?”

She looks down at her daughter and stares at Katie for a long moment.

“I,” her mother hesitates, than decides better than to answer it. Instead she turns the question back on Katie. “What do you think Katie?”

Katie grins and her mother raises an elegant eyebrow. “I believe in the Female Alpha!”

Rose giggles at how Katie sounds so sure causing Katie to pout. “What makes you so sure huh?”

Katie glares at Rose and raises her chin up. “Because I can feel it!”

“Feel what?” Rose is suddenly curious.

“My wolf!” Katie grins.

Katie’s mother and Rose look at each other and then laugh. Their laughter bounces off the underground walls and Katie’s grin drops again.

“Did you not hear me?” Rose giggles at her friend. “My mommy said it’s impossible.”

Katie’s mother stops laughing and stares at her daughter’s face.

Katie looks completely betrayed.

Before her mother can cheer her up, Katie’s already talking.

“But a voice told me so.”

Katie’s mother frowns at her daughter. “What voice? Did you hurt your head when I wasn’t with you?” She looks for any injuries on her daughter’s head.

“Oh no, are you okay?” Rose looks genuinely concern.

Katie swats her mother’s hand away angrily, “I didn’t hurt my head! I’m serious mommy! A voice told me that the Female Alpha is real that’s why I asked Rose about it!”

“What?” Her mother’s mouth parts in shock. She grabs her daughter’s arm and searches her eyes for any joking or uncertainty.

“Mommy?” Katie questions.

“When did you hear this voice? What did it tell you?” Her mother forces out her tightening throat and stares at her daughter, praying she’s lying this time.

Katie tilts her head to the side not understanding why her mother is freaking out, “When I was asleep this morning, mommy. I saw a white wolf under the moonlight. The voice didn’t really say anything but showed me the picture. But, I don’t understand it. The picture was like a song with a lot of words in it.”

The clanging of metal has the little girls’ attention going to the barred doors. A man with a badge on his shirt walks into the room with a cake in hand.

“A cake requested by Lady Rose,” the guard holds out a vanilla cake covered in white icing topped with strawberries.

“The cake!” Rose exclaims and takes it from the guard who leaves soon after and locks the door again. Rose looks at Katie and smiles. “Happy Birthday Katie!”

Katie grins. “Thanks Rose!”

The two little girls look to the only adult in the room and wait.

Katie’s mother notices and forces a smile that the girls cannot tell apart from a real or fake one. “You’re nine years old, Katie. Soon you’ll be ten.”

“I can’t wait till I’m ten!” Katie grins even more. “I feel like I might even shift earlier than everyone, who knows maybe I’ll be like the white wolf in my dream!”

Katie’s mother hands her a fork and Rose grabs her own, the two begin to eat.

“You can’t shift until you’re seventeen!” Rose puts a strawberry into her mouth. “Just like how you can’t find your mate until you’re that age.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Katie hums as she savors the tasty cake. She can’t eat that in the prison cell. She smiles sadly down at her cake. “But I don’t want a mate.”

Katie’s mother’s eyes soften at her daughter and she caresses her cheeks lovingly, “My baby, not all mates are like mine.”

“I don’t need one,” Katie says determinedly.

Her mother could only sigh. Maybe if fate wasn’t cruel, her daughter will have an amazing mate and they can run away where the moon don’t shine.

Once they’re done eating the cake the topic changes.

“Oh!” Katie suddenly exclaims catching the other two’s attention. “What about the child?”

Rose tilts her head questioningly at her friend. “What do you mean?”

“The Female Alpha’s child, duh!”

“Oh!” Rose gasps. She then frowns sadly. “Nobody knows what happened to the child.”

“Oh,” Katie says, “that’s sad.”

“It really is a sad story isn’t it?” Rose agrees.

“It is,” Katie’s mother finishes. She engulfs her only child into a hug. “Hopefully your story isn’t as sad as hers Katie.”

Katie looks up at her mom. “Why would I have a story mommy? And what can be worse than the Arena?”

“Anything, and everything, Katie.” Her mother replies cryptically.

“I don’t understand.” Katie mumbles into her mother’s chest.