“My mate?!” Rose yells. “I have a mate?” She whispers loudly. “But I haven’t even shifted yet so how can I—“

Katie shakes her head calming down and smiling. “Air head,” she lightly smacks the back of Rose’s head, “Everyone has a mate. And don’t forget you’re already seventeen.”

Huh?

“Oh,” Rose flushes when she meets Sam’s eyes and then looks at Katie’s thighs as if it’s the most interesting thing in the world right now.

Katie looks back at us and then her smile falls.

Shit.

“Oh no,” she catches everyone’s attention.

I sigh for how many times this morning? Too many to count.

Rose looks up at her in worry, “Kaite?”

Katie studies me and doesn’t bother to hide it.

“Katie?” Rose repeats again and this time she reacts.

She stares in my eyes a moment longer before she looks down at Rose.

“He’s my mate,” she says simply as she casually points to me.

All eyes follow her finger and land on me as I raise an eyebrow. I wasn’t expecting that kind of reaction. Then all hell breaks loose.

“What?!” Sam yells.

“Jack? Is that true?!” Trish is all up in my face with Sam.

Nick looks at Danny who doesn’t look surprised. “You knew?”

Trish snaps her head to her mate and growls, “Why didn’t you tell me!”

At least she’s not on my case now.

Danny backs away and holds up his hands in surrender. “I wasn’t going to say anything if Jack wasn’t going to. He mind link me when we were on our way there to stop the fight and I could only think of making sure nothing gets out of hand. Besides, I couldn’t just announce it in that kind of situation back there, and Sam here didn’t give me a chance to either!”

Trish doesn’t look the least bit convinced but doesn’t say anything more.

Sam on the other hand looks mildly offended at the accusation. “Excuse me? Well I came immediately to check if you guys were alright, and then smelt my mate. How can I not be excited and worried when my mate was hurt?”

“I would have liked to known too,” Nick says from the side and now I feel kind of bad now.

I sigh as I massage my temple.

“You guys,” I calmly say but they immediately shut up. I stare at my mate and Sam’s shocked mate that keeps looking between her friend and I. I offer a small smile, “I don’t mind if you two stay here to recover.”

“That’s what we were doing when we first got here.” Katie’s mouth is in a thin line and she looks a little irritated.

“What do you mean?” Danny questions.

“The doctor, Nick is it? He should have already figured it out while stitching up Rose here, but she has a weak body. As in she’s sick.”

Our faces fall, and we look to Nick who confirms it with a nod.

“We are from the West Clan, we ran away from them because we couldn’t handle their ways. For almost a month we’ve been on the run and never stayed off the bus for more than five minutes. Our intentions were to head east, than up north along the way to avoid your territory.” She intentionally avoids our eyes and looks at the ground. “But I am not knowledgeable about these things and so we ended up here.”