The next week, Sabine stayed at her friend's side for the entire time. She sat there next to him, ate next to him, slept next to him, even when she got washed she did so in the quarantine shower inside the medical bay. She felt as if leaving his side would be comparable to abandoning him in his time of need, and that was something she refused to do. He had been there so many times for her, and she'd gladly return the favour. Over the course of the week, the other members of the group often visited, checking on Ezra's condition, and that of Sabine. Out of all of them, it seemed as if she'd been the one affected worst by his absence, as if some large part of her had been torn away.

"Attention, this unit would recommend that you take some rest. Your vital signs are well below the acceptable level" the medical droid stated, surprising Sabine out of her deep thoughts. She turned to the droid slowly, her hand clamped around Ezra's, and pulled a small smile.
"I don't expect you to understand...but nothing in this galaxy would separate me from him right now, nothing" she said quietly. The droid had no response, and simply walked away again, shaking its head at what it deemed to be her 'irrationality'. The Mandalorian turned her attention back towards her friend, staring into his peacefully sleeping face and smiling at the sight of it. Irony was, he was probably far more at peace than she was at the moment. As she stared into his deep blue eyes, she wondered if he was dreaming at that very second, and if so, what about? Perhaps he was dreaming about some mystic Jedi wisdom, having a vision or whatnot. Or perhaps he dreamt about the rebellion, thinking about his long term goal to free Lothal from the clutches of the Empire. One part of her, a very small and hidden part of her subconscious, secretly hoped that he might be dreaming about her. She felt silly thinking that, but who can control their thoughts and desires? The two of them had been crewmates for a long time now, and had seen a hell of a lot. It was no secret that Ezra fancied her in the earlier days, back when she shrugged him off without a second thought. In those days, the rebellion had been more important to her, but now, after coming so close to losing Ezra forever, she thought perhaps it was time to get her priorities in check.

Days passed, and Sabine's own condition worsened. Caring for Ezra had left her looking like a husk of her former self; she didn't speak, she barely ate and when any of the crew inquired as to how she was doing, she would blindly shrug them off. She'd worn the same outfit for days now, in fact any sort of self-care had completely gone out of the window in her mind. Her only focus was on Ezra, and on being there for the moment that he finally woke up. Which, as it would seem, came sooner than she expected.

The Mandalorian sat there, in the uncomfortable white chair that was positioned next to Ezra's sickbed, sipping water from a metal flask that she'd been given by the medical droid. It was her first drink of the day, and already Atollon was in the first sways of evening. But then, as Sabine miserably placed the flask on a nearby desk, she heard a strange noise from her right. She glanced around, frowning, that couldn't be right. She could have sworn that she'd heard a deep breath. The rise and descent of Ezra's chest beneath the white covers confirmed it, she wasn't going mad, Ezra was waking up! Slowly, his eyes flickered open, wincing as they were greeted by the glare of a bright light up above. Sabine glanced around anxiously, looking for any sign of the medical droid, damn thing must have been tending to another patient. Ezra let out a deep sigh and pulled himself slowly upwards, sitting in the bed and examining his surroundings. He was in a hospital, that was for sure, and the sections of red rock in the walls and ceiling suggested that it was on Atollon. But before he could turn any further, a weight suddenly flung itself onto him, causing him to wheeze as the breath was winded out of him. He couldn't see whoever was embracing him so tightly, but from the smell of paint in their hair it must have been Sabine. With a small smile on his face, he put his arms over her shoulders and completed the hug, loosely gripping her. They stayed like that for ages, Ezra hearing the sniffles over his shoulder and widening his eyes in surprise a little. Finally, he broke the emotional silence.
"I can't breathe" he choked in a whisper, causing her to move off of him and sit on the edge of his bed. He beamed up at her, but she was still in the process of crying with joy. Her breaths were rapid, and she wiped her eyes, as if she couldn't believe that this was actually happening.
"The patient is awake?" the medical droid asked in confusion.
"Yes! Quickly, tell one of the men to get the rest of my crew, they'll wanna get back here!" Sabine shouted happily in the response, probably saying more in that one sentence than she had in the past week. The droid nodded its head, concurring with her for once and moving away to a nearby rebel soldier. Sabine, meanwhile, turned her attention back to Ezra.
"How long have I been out?" the apprentice asked with a frown, surprised at the extreme reaction of his friend.
"Almost a fortnight, worst two weeks of my life" Sabine admitted, breathing a sigh of relief as she started to calm down slightly.
"You seem...different, is everything alright?" Ezra asked, causing Sabine to suddenly move closer to him.
"No, everything is not alright you idiot! You almost died!" she shouted, slapping him lightly. Damn, she was changeable at the moment. She followed up the slap by stroking his face, her eyes looking over him apologetically.
"Ow..." he chuckled, causing her to smile a little.
"Do you have any idea what that would have done to me? I couldn't...I wouldn't...it would...you know?" she said quietly, unable to get her words out properly. She'd never stuttered so much in her life.
"I know...we're friends, I don't wanna imagine how tough it would be..." the apprentice started, but was quickly cut off by Sabine.
"No! No...it's more than that...um...look, you remember how you used to...flirt? Like a lot" she said slowly, this was the first time Ezra had seen her so shy in his life.
"Used to? I may have been more subtle, but you're never gonna stop me from flirting 'Bine" he answered with a casual chuckle.
"Good! Uh...good. Cause...I've been thinking...I almost lost you, forever. The rebellion was always so important...nothing else mattered, but I've changed Ezra" the Mandalorian explained, doing her best to subtly hint at what she wanted.
"Changed how? What are you saying here?" Ezra asked, he didn't want to get the wrong idea here. The last thing he wanted was to make a move and be put back into a coma because Sabine punched him for it.
"Well...I...oh come here you idiot" she started, before pulling him close. He assumed it was for another hug, but he was soon proven wrong when her lips collided roughly with his. Her hands wrapped around his neck, pulling him forward, and catching him completely off guard. He placed a hand on her hip, and for a moment they sat there, completely lost in one another. As the kiss came to an end, their eyes were inches apart, her hazel and his blue staring into one another. She moved away, a big smile on her face, and the rest of the crew suddenly burst into the room.
"Oh force Ezra...you're alright" Hera remarked, rushing towards him.
"Gave us a scare then kid" Zeb admitted. Immediately he was crowded by his friends, but his face was still a look of shock. He couldn't comprehend what had just happened. He looked past his crew, noticing Sabine slyly walking backwards out of the room. She aimed one last smile his way, before slipping away, out of sight. In his head, he could only think one thing. What the hell did all of that mean?!