Chapter Sixty-Eight: Lies

Start from the beginning

Like the moment the one person I loved the most in the world betrayed me.

See? I told you. How could you forget all the horrible things they did to you?

I stayed silent.

How could you ever forgive them?

I clenched my hand into a fist. Shut up.

I'll never go away, Akane. I will always be a part of you.

The scene before me started to break apart. The very scene before me that filled me with joy moments before, now made me question if it was real at all.

I heard a devious giggle echo in my mind.

You know what else won't go away?

I felt a tear slide down my cheek.

Your pain. It will be eternal.

***

My eyes fluttered open as I slowly regained consciousness. I sat up and held my aching head.

What was that?

I felt confused and I was unsure of where I was. That was until I heard a low and calm voice directed at me.

"How are you feeling?"

It sounded just like Kaname. Up until that moment my mind was completely out of whack, but I remembered everything now.

I didn't answer. I didn't want to think about it. I wanted to forget.

Kaname sat down next to me and entwined his hand with mine. I quickly moved it away and stood on my feet.

"Will you ever learn to just stay away from me?" I hissed under my breath.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Kaname smile slightly. He then stood and walked over to me, before perking my chin up.

"You were surrounded by countless Level E's. Don't you remember?" he asked. "I needed to protect you. You're my sister."

"Just stay away from me," I said sternly.

I began to walk towards the door before Kaname's voice erupted behind me.

"Why exactly do you hate me?"

I froze before I slowly turned to him.

"You've never given me an exact reason why. So, please...." Kaname walked over to me and took my hand into his, before placing it over his heart. "Look at me in the eyes and tell me why. I won't believe you until you do."

I was taken aback by what my brother said. Wasn't I clear enough? I did as he asked me to. I looked into his eyes and all I saw was sorrow. He desperately wanted me to say something, anything, besides that I hated him.

"I—I—"

Kaname chuckled under his breath. "I knew it. You didn't really hate me." He wrapped his arms tightly around me. "You hesitated. That speaks volumes to me."

I was speechless. Was he right? Did I really....hate him?

You do, Akane. Don't ever forget that.

My face became twisted and I quickly pushed him away.

"I have other things to worry about..." My voice trailed off as I began to shake. I looked at him in the eyes. "You're wrong...I do h—okay?!"

I quickly ran out of Kaname's dorm with my hand over my mouth. My eyes were wide.

I couldn't even say that one word to him.

What is happening to me?

I quickly barged into my dorm and slammed the door behind me. I was honestly holding back tears.

"Akane!"

I heard a voice behind me. I turned and saw the one person I wanted to see. The one person who was always there for me. The one person who I could talk to in times like this.

My eyes lit up as I ran to him. "Senri, thank goodness you're alright!"

I wrapped my arms around him and he did the same. I felt like crying tears of joy. He was okay. He made it out of Rido's grasp.

But that moment didn't last long.

Something felt off after mere moments. I tried to slowly back away from Senri, but he suddenly gripped me tightly. He was too strong for me to get free.

"Let go of me!"

Senri chuckled deviously and I felt like crying, but for a completely different reason this time.

"Accept reality, Akane. You failed him."

I hesitantly looked up. There I saw the sight I never wanted to become real again.

I saw Senri but he was a completely different person. His sweet smile was replaced by an evil grin and now one of his once beautiful icy grey eyes were now tainted blood-red.

No....