F O U R ∘ Shocked

POV: EDWARD CULLEN
Monday, October 30 2017

My siblings and I were sitting at our usual lunch table. Emmett and Rosalie were gazing into each other's eyes, having a silent conversation. Jasper was keeping to himself, staring at his untouched food tray. With his arm around Alice, she was chatting with me.

"She's about to walk in," she said. After Carlisle warned us about the new resident in Forks that he ran into at the hospital, Alice wanted to keep tabs. According to her, looking out for the girl's decisions was surprisingly easy.

I assumed it was because it affected our futures. I didn't know how, though.

'Not sure if it's permanent,' was what she said to Carlisle. I didn't expect her to apply to the school.

"We don't even know her name. How do you know you're searching for the right person, Alice?" Emmett asked.

"Her name is Isabella," I told him. They all looked to me now, puzzled. "She told Carlisle when he introduced himself. I caught it in his mind."

"Oh, right." Em went back to staring at his wife.

"I'm not really certain I know why I was able to see her so easily, but I know it's her."

I tilted my head in Alice's direction. "It's strange. Usually, you aren't able to see humans."

"Exactly. There's a reason I can see this one..." she mused. "I've gotta know what it is."

I grimaced. I hoped she was wrong. She rarely is, so the possibility that this girl might be at all involved in our lives was simply frustrating.

"It's impossible, really. We can't get close to huma—" Jazz's voice got cut off. On either side of him, Alice and Emmett suddenly clamped both of their hands down on his arms. We all froze in place.

We looked up, and our eyes locked on dark brown hair. The girl under it was facing opposite of us, but she was directly under an air vent. We were downwind of her, so her scent blew toward us.

It was mouthwatering. I thought I had known what to expect when I saw it in our father's mind, but I now realized that he would react differently to it since he is much more impervious to human blood than the rest of us. Having centuries of practice in the medical field, that is.

I immediately knew what he meant when he said it seemed like power was scorched in her veins. It, along with the pure wet sound of her heart, made my throat burn immensely. My siblings and I were having trouble staying glued to our seats. Especially Jasper.

Barely a second had passed since we sensed it, and the girl was about to sit down with a group of people I knew from my advanced biology class.

They spoke to her for a minute before she froze, then slowly but directly turned to face us. It was as if she felt our eyes on her.

She narrowed her eyes when she confirmed it, then turned away again, leaning toward the tall boy next to her that I knew to be named Ben.

"Who are they?" she whispered to him.

"The Cullens," he informed her, smiling to himself. Of course, she would notice them on her first day, he thought.

His 'tone' of mind was not sneering or annoyed at all, unlike Jessica Stanley, who sat across from him. It was just entertained.

Don't waste your time, new girl. If I'm not his type, no one is. Jealousy was singed in Jessica's shallow mind.

She and Rosalie would get along, I said to myself, rolling my eyes internally. And here I thought she was over her little fascination with me since she committed herself to Mike Newton.