t h i r t y o n e

After all the pain there comes a moment of pure happiness. A single sunbeam in the sky full of dark clouds.

That's how both, Eira and Ivar, felt when they lips brushed. A sparkle to a fire. After a while full of sweet little kisses, Ivar's hand travelled from Eira's hand to her cheek. His rough fingertips felt different when touching her soft skin.

Ivar's reputation of a cruel Viking was gone the moment he was alone with Eira. With her, he became a gentle, caring young man full of happiness even though he never believed in such a thing.

Eira lifted her hands, one went behind Ivar's neck to bring him even closer if that was possible and the other hand rested on his chest. She could feel his raising heartbeat.

The kiss got heated and both of them at the same time pulled away in need of air. Their breathing was fast and in sync. They were staring into each other's eyes. Only then Ivar noticed Eira's eyes were no longer that dark as they used to be. She had hazel brown eyes with a hint of green in the middle.

"Wow," he whispered.

Eira was confused. "What?"

"I've never noticed how beautiful your eyes are." A small smile appeared on her lips. "Well, your eyes were the first thing I noticed about you, Ivar. That's how I knew you were a good person."

"But I'm not,-"

"Yes, you are. No one can have such gentle and honest eyes and be a bad human being."

Ivar wrapped his arms around Eira's waist. For a quick second she froze because of the touch but as quickly as she did, she relaxed again.

Ivar genuinely smiled at her, his eyes were almost sparkling. "That's something unusual," Eira observed him.

"What?" He couldn't get the smile off of his face.

"He can smile," she said mockingly and placed her hand on his cheek, her thumb touching his bottom lip.

"Everyone can smile, Eira. I just don't have the reason to do so, till now."

Eira smiled at him back, pulling him closer. She kissed Ivar in the corner of his mouth.

"I should go to sleep and so should you. We need to rest before tomorrow."

"I agree," Ivar told her.

Eira turned around ready to leave but Ivar pulled her back. "Where are you going?" He asked.

"To my hut?"

"No, that's not a place where you'll be sleeping tonight." Eira was confused.

Ivar intertwined his fingers with hers. "You will be sleeping at my hut. I want you close to me," with that he nervously swallowed an additional saliva in his mouth. Eira looked scared and Ivar's heart broke a little.
"Not in that way! You are safe with me, I promise."

Eira's face softened a little and she nodded. "I trust you, Ivar." And she meant it. It's been a long time since she trusted anybody and she was glad it was Ivar. 

Ivar slowly walked towards his hut, holding Eira's hand. The whole time he was slightly smiling, strange feeling in his stomach. Eira looked at him and at that moment Ivar tripped and fell to the ground, taking Eira with him. She landed on top of him, her eyes searching for Ivar's face. 

Her heart was aching from the look on his face. He was angry at himself and disappointed by the lack of ability to walk.

"Hey," she tried to make him look at her. His head turned away, trying to avoid Eira's eyes. She sighed, her hand reaching and grabbing Ivar's chin to make him turn his head towards her. He had no choice but to do so.

"It's okay, Ivar. Everyone trips once in a while. I mean, look at me. I'm a walking catastrophe," she tried to joke to make him laugh. He didn't but his face softened and that was a good sign.

Eira got up, with a smile looking back at Ivar. She reached out, waiting for Ivar to grab her hand. He did and with all the strength she had she pulled him up. They looked at each other. Ivar touched Eira's nose, leaving a muddy mark on it.

"How dare you!" She laughed. Then she bent over to grab a hand full of mud, throwing it at Ivar.

He put his hands in the air. "Okay, I surrender, I surrender!" He was laughing too.

Eira grabbed Ivar's hand. "We need to clean ourselves. We're a mess. Come on," she ordered and Ivar slowly walked with her. 

Once they reached his hut, Eira prepared the bath by going for a water outside and warming it by the fireplace. It took some time but she didn't mind. She wanted to enjoy every single minute of the time she had with Ivar because she was a realist and she was prepared for everything that might happen the day after.  

She poured the last bucket of water in. When she turned around, Ivar was only in his pants, exposing his muscles. Eira was just standing there, empty bucket in her hands, admiring the man sitting in front of her. 

Ivar noticed and immediately placed his hands in front of his chest. Eira burst into a laughter which made Ivar confused but he started to laugh too. Soon the whole room was filled with genuine laughter. It was so liberating, pulling them out of the reality. 

After few minutes, Eira couldn't laugh anymore. Her stomach hurt from it, the pain hitting her back. She had to swipe those happy tears from her face. "What are you doing?" she finally asked once she knew another wave of laughter won't be coming. 

"I didn't want to make you uncomfortable," he looked down shyly, his hands still covering his torso. Eira bit her lip. "Alright then. You can put your hands down I'm comfortable with that," a little giggle left her mouth. 

"I will now turn around," and so she did, "and you can fully undress and get in the water." Eira's heart was beating hard she thought her heart would jump out of her chest just by thinking about Ivar being naked in the same room as her. Unknowingly she was holding a breath. 

"I'm in," he said and when Eira turned back, Ivar had this playful expression on his face with a hint of red colour in his cheeks. Eira tried to look just on Ivar's face, maybe making it too obvious because her eyes began to water from the lack of blinking. "Are you really that hard focusing on my face?" Ivar bit his lip, smiling. Eira finally blinked. "What? Nooo," she didn't sound too convincing because her voice went an octave up. 

"I'll be right back! I'm going for a cloth and soap," she murmured. Instead of going to the other side of the room, she panicked and ran out of the door. She leaned against the wall of the hut. Her breathing was fast as if she ran few miles without stopping. Then she pressed her right hand against her raising heartbeat. What am I doing? she thought.