Muspelheim

Muspelheim. The land of never dying fire. Home of fire giants and their cruel ruler, Surtur.

As far as your eyes can see, there's nothing on the horizon but stones, fire and endless flows of lava. Hot clouds of steam are rising from the heart of this land through the cracks on the ground. You only lived here for a short, unpleasant time, and it was long ago. Your home was Midgard, and you never belonged here, still, in the deepest part of your mind a thought was forming: I came home.

Loki and you set up your base camp at the lifeless land near some steaming pools of hot water in the craters on the ground. You were far and safe from the hordes of fire giants. They preferred the deep caves of the rising mountains, full of flaming lava. They rarely appeared on the empty surface of the realm, especially near the hot tubs. You all remembered these from your childhood, and finally, the memories became useful.

The camp contained two sleeping bags, a fireplace (like the whole land wasn't one giant fireplace), some camping chairs, a giant freezing box full of water and food, and of course your armours, weapons, and all the necessary things you might need. A tent wasn't included because the weather never changed: always hot as hell. The idea of rain was unknown here.

The first day, after setting up the camp, you showed Loki around. Though the place was a burning mess, you still remembered some special places, where the view was unlike anything you've ever seen, or like the hot tubs. After hours of hiking and sweating it was nice and refreshing to take a bath in one of the tubs. You were soaking in the hot pool together for hours. It was your idea to take swim-suits with you, and you didn't regret it at all. Loki was wearing forest-green swimming trunks, leaving his upper body naked. You saw his beautifully sculpted, pale body for the first time, and you took every second you had to admire him. He was tall, skinny, yet still muscular. His wet hair fell on his shoulders, right above his perfect chest and...

"Hey! Are you even listening to me?" he splashed water in your face with an annoyed tone in his voice.

"What? Sorry, I... I was just spacing out. You know, some random memories and stuff," you tried to cover the obvious fact that you were staring at him. Your face blushed in a deep red colour, and you were hoping he can't see this because of the heat your faces were constantly red already.

"I see. I thought you were simply just staring at me," he teased you with another small splash.

"You know, I have a fine taste of man, and you're not my type," you splashed back with a playful smile.

Of course, it was a lie, you completely started falling for him. You didn't want to get high hopes, because the end of the day you only would find yourself brokenhearted. You wanted to suppress and fight it back, but it became harder every day...

***

Later that evening you were sitting around the fire and roasted marshmallows. Loki at first refused to take part in this childish mortal activity, but you insisted to do it anyway. You also had a fine bottle of strong whisky with you, which you popped open to celebrate your first day of the trip ahead.

As time passed by, the level of the liquid in the bottle descended to the bottom. Though both of you could drink more than an average human, the demigod and you still managed to get drunk. Soon you found yourself philosophizing over some topics you were avoiding since the beginning:

"You know (y/n), there's one question I wanted to ask all day, but I couldn't find the right time for it." Loki looked at you while roasting a marshmallow on a stick. As he drank more and more, he started to like the sticky snack.

"Okay, shoot it." He woke up your curiosity, with that serious look on his beautiful face, and strange tone in his voice.

"Why aren't you in your Muspel form? I mean I like you this way, but... as much as I hate and try to hide it, I always turn into a frost giant in Jotunheim. And I was wondering, why isn't it the same case with you?" His blue eyes were searching your face with concern while waiting for the answer.