Chapter 2

I hid around the corner as I watched Jaeda stride out of her estate, shrouded in a thick cloak that hid her revealing dress. But I saw a flash of red and knew what she was wearing and what she looked like.

What I also looked like, I thought with a disgruntled sigh.

Waiting in the alleyway in the cover of darkness, I internally counted down five minutes before creeping from the shadows, throwing my shoulders back as I made my way down the path Jaeda just left.

I strode towards the Wildecrest household with my head held high and a sashay in my walk, the long flowing skirt of the bloody red dress swirling around me. I silently chanted a prayer that no one would question why I wasn't wearing the thick coat she left in whilst I also ate up the extravagant sight in front of me.

The house could only really be described as something close to a mansion, built over three floors, large, open windows, and a small stable for their horses. Made from sandstone, the building stood out from the worn and tired looking street, showing wealth through the cleanliness of the stone alone. Everything about the building screamed money, even the entrance doorway that a carpenter had clearly carved by hand, making intricate floral patterning swirl around the golden door knocker and handle.

As I made my way to the entrance, I signalled to the servant who was standing at attention at the doorway, conveying impatience in the gesture. He stepped forward to open the door and gave me a polite head nod, which I ignored as Jaeda would do. I strode through the entrance just as another servant stepped up to me.

"Madam, your—"

I waved her away and kept on striding forward with purpose. The less I talked, the less likely I would give away that I was not Jaeda.

I had been watching Jaeda for days, watching how her body moved, how she interacted with other people, and trying to embody her wasn't too hard. However, that didn't mean I wouldn't make a blunder of a conversation about a subject I knew nothing about.

"Madam, plea—"

I turned and gave her a look of displeasure and rudely interrupted her. "I would think about whatever you are about to say. I made it clear that I did not want you to talk. Learn to listen to my command."

The servant ducked her head and took a step back whilst I turned and walked up to the stairway. I remarked over my shoulder, "Now, I'm going upstairs to my room and I do not wish to be disturbed for the rest of the night."

I heard her scurry away, and I felt a pang of remorse over the way I treated her. I may have to imitate Jaeda, but I didn't have to like it.

According to the blueprints and the information we managed to gather, Jaeda's bedroom was next to the captain's office and none of the servants were allowed on the floor without being requested to be there, so thankfully, I wouldn't be caught snooping.

I climbed up the stairs and turned left, following the long corridor that led to Jaeda's room and the office, listening out for any servants who may have snuck up here.

As I placed my hand on the office door, I heard some faint murmurs within. I stood still, listening in, but couldn't make out anything above a hushed whisper. Assuming that it was servants caught where they shouldn't be, I stormed in with anger...

Only for Captain Harrian Wildecrest to spin around in shock and outrage until he realised it was me, or Jaeda, who made the dramatic entrance.

"Jaeda, I am glad you could join us." His words may have been a greeting, but his voice was an unhappy grumble.

He stood tall on the other side of the room, standing in front of a desk. His chocolate brown hair was maliciously groomed, framing a square jaw and hazel eyes.