22: Glowing Trees

Start from the beginning

Tamara gasped and covered her mouth with her empty palm. I rushed to her when tears trickled down her cheek.

"What happened?" I demanded when she dropped the call.

"Beatrice said mom started coughing up blood and passed out in her office."

My head spun in two revolutions. I thought all this ended a long time ago. Why are bad things resurfacing? Why?

I sped up to my room and fished random clothes to wear.

💭💭💭

At Livingstone Hospital, the doctor, Dr Michelle welcomed us into her office and spoke to us about mom's state.

According to her, mom suffered from an internal bleeding and due to the excessive external loss of blood, she suffered from an hypovolemic shock.

Tamara wrapped her hand around me as we sat on the same chair we were on the last time we came here when mom got attacked by an unknown person.

"She'll be fine, don't worry too much." Tamara consoled.

I nodded. I hate seeing any of my loved ones suffer, anything that affects them has a way of getting to me too.

I sneezed and wiped mouth with my handkerchief. "I wonder what triggered the internal bleeding."

We remained silent as we watched every activity taking place in the hospital. Some patients were walking with the aid of crutches under the supervision of the nurses, others were limping around, rejecting the help offered to them. A man was being rushed to the operating theatre on a hospital trolley and as I saw the oxygen mask over his nose, I felt faint.

"You've gotten pale, what's wrong?"

I stood. "The air here is too depressing, I'm gonna step out for a few minutes."

My sister nodded and I felt her eyes on me as I made my way to the exit.

Outside, the air which was relatively calm tickled my nose and the aroma of hospital food crept in.

From what I heard from the patients who whispered carelessly, the food was terrible. I wasn't sure about the credibility of their story because I never got to know what hospital food tastes like.

After visiting hours were over, Tamara and I went back home in silence and retired to our bedrooms.

When I had stumbled into my bed, a call from Philip came in.

"Hello best friend." His mesmerizing voice sounded into my ear.

I brushed my hair back with my fingers. "Hello to you too, how are you doing this evening?"

"I had a long day at work but I'm okay now, hearing your voice is sufficient."

"O...okay." I stuttered.

"Are you busy? " He asked.

"No, why? "

"I want to take you somewhere, are you coming?"

"Now?" I asked, staring out my window,  the sky was almost dark and I didn't want to leave my sister home alone.

"Yes, hold on a sec..." He paused making me wonder what he was doing. "I just arrived at your house, come outside please."

I chuckled.

"You know you don't have to beg me for anything."

I slipped my arms into a jacket and advanced to the main door.