15: His Girlfriend

A/N: That's Maya at the top.

'His Girlfriend'

*
*

THERE'S NO ADJECTIVE to describe how I felt that moment, I was dumfounded, I was taken-aback, I was shocked.

Philip has a girlfriend?

I looked at the pretty figure standing beside him, she was beautiful, the way her hair fell to her waist, her slender arms and legs, the flowery dress she wore and the pair of flip-flops on her feet, everything made her beautiful. Her thin lips were parted in a smile and her golden eyes bored into me.

"Hi, I'm Maya, nice to meet you," She waved at me with the confidence and ease of a goddess. I smiled at her and shifted my gaze to Philip. His eyes were solely on her.

"It's nice meet you too, Maya." I replied and lowered my head.

"I'll be in the kitchen." I pointed behind me in the direction of the kitchen and they nodded like robots. As I walked out on them, I glimpsed at my boss who was whispering sweet nothings into Maya's ear, she giggled in response.

With a sour countenance, I marched to the kitchen where Mia was arranging some plates beside her.

"How was your day?" She enquired, sensing my presence. I heaved and moved towards her.

"My legs are killing me, I feel sore." I grumbled. She let out a little laugh and turned to me.

"I know just what will solve that."

She handed me a plate and I placed it together with the other plates on the counter.

"I'm guessing you've met Maya."

"Yes I have." I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"They've been childhood friends, it's not surprising that they're dating." She said, not realizing how tight her words squeezed my heart.

"When did they start dating? " I asked to satisfy my curious mind.

"It's been a year now." She replied and turned to face me.

"Maya's mom and Philip's were best friends, they knew each other from college, Maya and Philip would visit each other and play as kids, till when they were teenagers, Maya's parents relocated from USA to Hawaii, they live here in Hawaii." Maya watched my reaction and seeing none, she continued.

"Maya and Philip lost contact with each other for years, until last two years, they met at a gala organized by Philip's dad."

I nodded and turned my eyes to the pieces of meat she started slicing with a knife.

I took an apple from the fruit bowl and began munching it, at the same time reflecting on what she told me.

I don't know why the sight of Mr. Ross and Maya affected me. It shouldn't. I promised to avoid them as much as possible. I felt my forehead and it was on fire, a headache was definitely coming up.

"I'll go back upstairs, my head hurts." I rubbed my temple and she nodded.

Walking back to my room, I sighted Philip and Maya watching a movie curled up in each others arms.

Ew. Love.

I carefully got into my bed and draped the comforter over my body. I thought about the moments I've been close to my boss, not once had he hinted that he had a girlfriend. I remembered Barbara who I saw with him in his office and I was tempted to go tell Maya what her boyfriend has been doing behind her. That's a great idea, right?

I groaned as I flung the horrific thought away, firstly, I'm not a blabbermouth and secondly it's none of my business, I have no right to stick my head in other people's businesses, if Maya does not find out herself, I'm not divulging anything to her.

My phone rang and I picked it up.

"Hey Tam." I said unenthusiastically

"Hey sis, what's wrong? "

My sister just knows whenever I'm in a bad mood even when I'm not around her.

"My head aches." I complained, rubbing my forehead.

"Florence, is he overworking you? You need to tell him if he is, it's unfair. I could take the next flight down-"

"-I had a busy day, that's all. Nothing much, I'll be fine."

Tamara sighed. Even though I can't see her, I know she had worried lines across her forehead.

"How's he, have you guys kissed yet?"

I rolled my eyes. Trust Tam to switch from being serious to being naughty in a blink of an eye.

"He has a girlfriend." I carelessly blurted out and Tam gasped over the phone.

"Poor thing, we'll find someone else for you...have you met his girlfriend, how's she? Can we kill the bitch already?"

I scoffed. "Her name's Maya, she's totally gorgeous, everything about her screams dramatic, I stand no chance Tam. And, no killing please."

What did I just say?

"You see, you're totally in love with your boss!" She squealed.

I rolled my eyes despite the throbbing in my head. "You wish. That came out wrongly though, I got to go sis, my head's killing me."

"Because you're head over heels in love with him...goodbye little one, I love you." I hung up on her, with a little smile plastered on my lips.

I fell asleep and dreamt about home.

Towards midnight, I felt a hand on my forehead, I opened an eye and yelled when I saw the dark outline of a person. I hastily jumped out of my bed.

"Florence, it's only me." Came Mia's calm voice. The adrenaline rush in my body quelled and I placed a hand on my chest.

"You startled me Mia." I sat on the bed and ruffled my hair, taking quick gulps of air.

"I'm so sorry, I just wanted to check on you, are you OK now? " She questioned. Though the throbbing in my head still continued, it wasn't as terrible as before.

"I'm quite better now, thanks."

I couldn't make out her face in the darkness but I really appreciated her motherly concern for me, it made me feel instantly at ease.

"Isn't it too late to be up?"

"I woke up to check on you, I'll be going back to bed since you're quite better now. If you need anything, just use the intercom and ring up my room okay?"

She caressed the back of my hand with a finger for a short moment before walking out through the door.

I heaved and fell back to the bouncy bed which caressed me to sleep.

This chapter was kinda tricky, Anyways it's finally out.
The rest of the chapters will be coming up. I'll try to update everyday that is if something doesn't get in the way.
To all my friends and followers, I want to thank you for the comments, votes and encouragements.

Lots of love and kisses

Tris. ❤