37: Threats of A Coward

A/N: Are you enjoying the story so far? If you are, it may please you to check out my other stories here  Tris_Pryer
Thanks!

'Threats of A Coward'

PHILIP LEFT in the same manner as he came; abruptly. I shrugged and continued watching the workers working on the different fabrics laid out on large tables before them.

After a long day, I closed from work at exactly 9:30p.m. I got stuck in traffic as I drove home, but despite that, I arrived home at exactly 10:30p.m with a terrible headache. While I fumbled with my keys after I stepped out of the car, I didn't know someone approached me until a hand was placed over my mouth, and another hand around my waist.

"We're coming for you..." A voice whispered in my ear causing me to shiver as they sent signals of intense hatred into my body.

"Let go of me, you...mmmph... coward!" The sounds emitted from my larynx were muffled as a result of the assaulter's hand clipped over my mouth. Twisting my body around, I was unsuccessful in liberating myself from his firm grip.

I bit deep into his palm over my mouth and he yelled, withdrawing it rapidly from over my mouth. While he was distracted by the pain, I raised my foot and swung it backwards, attacking his shin. Swear words rapidly escaped from his mouth as his hand draped around my waist was removed and used to support his leg.

"You'll pay for this, I promise you, you b**ch," He cursed and limped away.

I internally rejoiced for warding off his evil intentions. Strangely, his rough, calloused hands were familiar when they touched my skin, the voice, even though in whispers was also familiar, but I couldn't really tell who they belonged to.

I traveled back from my thoughts to reality when the front door was open cautiously.

Tamara poked her head out first and glanced sideward, first to the right and then to the left. She grabbed my arm and pulled me into the house.

"What was that? I heard a noise."

I ignored her statement and picked my way to the kitchen. I turned on the light and sighed.

"Florence." She called  sternly.

"There was nothing, I assure you." I lied again to leave no room for doubt, but she wasn't satisfied.

I didn't want to tell her about my encounter with the stupid coward, because she might react terribly to the information. Seeing she recently recovered from an emotional breakdown. Telling her would just add fuel to the already raging fire.

I huffed and grabbed a glass cup and drank water from the water dispenser.

"There was nothing." I laid emphasis on each syllable.

My sister gave me an odd look."If you say so. I went to the hospital, Doctor Michelle said mom's recovering rapidly and will soon be discharged, but even at that, she shouldn't be allowed to do any strenuous activity."

I nodded and listened to her talk about her day at the office. She asked about mine and I gave her a positive reply. When it was bedtime, I made sure all the doors and windows were securely locked before heading upstairs to my room.

In my bed, I couldn't sleep because every little sound startled me,  I even imagined a man clutching a huge stick next to my bed. Even the mere sound of the tree branches grazing the roof top awoke me.

💭💭💭

It's been a long day, without you my friend...

'See you again', my ringtone played on my phone, luring me from my troubled sleep. I yawned and tucked my head under my pillow.