Chapter 14: Raindrops. Flooded Carparks.

Start from the beginning

I leaned forward, ducked and bobbed my head a few times in between the bookshelves, trying to see what they were up to. I felt a little bit like a creep doing this but I really didn't want him to see me. I couldn't muster up the energy to deal with being around him–especially when I knew I was going to need it later that day. 

I watched as Mr. Green say something to the kid with glasses, and suddenly he pointed toward the shelves in my direction.

Crap. They were coming this way!

Rapidly I squabbled back to the corner, put my hoody on, and zipped my jacket all the way past my head so that only my eyes were left exposed. As their footsteps drew nearer, I quickly picked up the random history book I had been "reading" and put it in front of my face.

Mr. Green and the kid stopped behind the shelf to my right.

"Okay, Brian. I'm going to go get the trolly for the books so you start gathering up all the Burial Rites novels for class, alright? I'll be right back," He instructed the boy. It was only when his dress shoes walked away did I begin to relax a bit.

Brian did exactly as he was told and he started picking out handfuls of the book into his arms. I thought back to the time I was the one who had to help Mr. Green bring the books to class and remembered that I was hiding for a good cause.

"Uh... What the hell are you doing? Are you spying on us?" a high-pitched, pubescent voice questioned out of nowhere. I looked up to see the orange hair kid giving me a peculiar look through his thick spectacles. I'd admit, I must've really looked sketchy with my hoody zipped to the ceiling.

"Shhhh!" I hushed him anxiously, waving him away with my hands. "Keep your voice down kid! It's cold okay. Oh, and pretend you didn't see me!"

"Okay then... weird lady." He murmured and went back to gathering more books into his arms. I closed my eyes, satisfied. Brian was a good kid, and did what he told. Nice, I approved.

Not long after, Mr. Green came back wheeling an empty trolly with him. I quickly picked up my history book again and put it back in front of my face, this time angling it towards the newly exposed gap from where Brian had taken the books from. If Mr. Green so much as looked over to this side and saw me, I don't even know what my excuse would be.

"I'm back!" His voice was smooth and deep against the low grumble of thunder outside. "Whoa there! Here, pass me those before they fall. Also thanks for helping me out for class Brian, I really appreciate it." They begin unloading the novels from Brian's arms before starting back the ones still on the shelf.

One by one, as more books began to disappear off the shelf leaving a bigger and bigger gap each time, inch by inch I sank lower against the wall behind my book, onto the ground until I could sink no more. I groaned. I should've run the moment I saw them come through the door!

"Guess what Brian? I'll let you in on a little secret. I gave the super squeaky trolley to Mrs. Hansort today," mentioned Mr. Green casually, out of nowhere. There was a hidden mischief in his voice.

"You mean the one Jayden brought in last time– the one that sounded like someone dragging pots down the hall?!"

"Yep, that one! I keep it specifically for the cheeky students in my class. "

Brian giggled and a snort came out. "Haha, serves them right! You're a genius, Mr. Green."

My mind flashed back to a few weeks ago:

---

*Squeeeeeeeeek-Squeeeeeeek!*

I was pushing the trolly down the hallway, keeping my head and gaze down as low possible as I pass everyone at their lockers who stopped to stare.

*Squeeeeeekk*

With each turning of the noisy wheel, the sniggers of the students filled my ears louder and louder, and each pointed finger became harder to miss. All the while Mr. Green strutted down the hallway beside me, a coffee mug in his hands, looking very comfortably smug.