Chapter 51.2, The trade

Start from the beginning

"If that's what it takes to get Matt back, yes," I answer.

I can feel myself tearing a bit up at the prospect of completely losing myself. But I don't cry and I don't dare to hesitate giving Calvin and Matt their happy ending.

Xavier lets out a chuckle. "That's just marvelous! Perfect, actually. But... your friend needs to get back to a doctor and the night is still young. Let's discus this new deal over a dinner. The kitchen worked very hard," Xavier says.

I feel myself getting frustrated, because I would really like Matt back before we set light to Isabella.

"Fine then," I say and walk over to Xavier. 

I hear Sean driving off and when Xavier extends his arm, I hook mine in with so much disgust, I want to vomit. I hate this man so much, but I need to keep him happy if I want to get Matt back. 

With the lace of my red dress fitted perfectly across my body and the texture of the material swishing past my legs, I feel powerful. The gold-like heels don't lower my confidence either. I keep my back straight and my eyes focused, because even though I'm willing to sell my soul to get Matt back, I know somewhere the West and East are trying to get in, so we can make the North pay.

Xavier leads me through the massive, grand double doors of Isabella and then through the foyer. I feel like where our arms are connected, I'm burning by the time we get to the extravagant dining room. More food than possibly necessary for two people, is stacked on the long, 12-seater dining table. The food cooked to such perfection that even Hogwarts' house elves would be impressed.

Well, I think to myself, I'm sure not going to waste any of the food while I'm here. No need to be a rude guest just yet.

Xavier surprisingly pulls out a chair for me on the right side of the table and I glare at him before sitting. Pretending to be a gentlemen, doesn't mean you're not the devil that deserves a slow death.

Xavier sits at the table and has the same poisonous grin as always with his straight, perfect teeth. Just one, I beg to whatever gods are listing. Just let me punch out one of his teeth.

"Have I said, Amber Marigold, how splendid you look in that red dress?" Xavier asks and then adds, "Great minds think alike!" as he shows off his red tie.

"But idiots never differ," I add.

"Did you just call yourself an idiot?"

"I'm having dinner with you. I must be a pretty big idiot if events have lead me to this."

"Can't argue with that," Xavier admits before pouring us both wine. 

I wait for him to take a sip - making sure it's not poisoned. When he looks fine, I take my own sip as well. It's pretty good.

"You do know, that I'm underage?" I remind Xavier.

"Yes, but you'll be eighteen in about a week, so there really isn't any harm," Xavier counters. Of course everyone would know when y birthday is when even I tend to forget. I take another sip while glaring at Xavier. Damn, I wish looks could kill.

"What are you planning for tonight? Why did you request me? Aren't you just going to kill m and be done with it?" I ask.

'Don't test him,' I hear Calvin say in the earpiece.

Xavier takes another big sip of his wine. He stands and takes a nearby knife on the table - which makes me cold all over, because I might die earlier than I've been expecting.

"Well," Xavier starts, "you are descendant of the Sterling gang. Killing you would be very wise," Xavier explains before he start to carve the chicken-looking thing. "But as you've mentioned, we both seem to be idiots..." he says and dumps some of the carved chicken on my plate. "And I can find much better ways to wield you, Amber Marigold, until your end is required..."