Chapter 112 - Cameron - Cal - Mare - 5 Years Later

Zacznij od początku

Suddenly the door opens, and I hear guards trying to hold someone back. I catch a glimpse of who they have a hold of, and Cal does too, because he stands.

"Let her go" Cal's voice echoes through the cabinet. I get up too, walking towards her. I stop the moment I see her face.

"How dare you!" Cameron yells at Cal, pointing her finger. "How dare you send him onto the front line, knowing he could die. He probably will die!" she is shaking, her voice loud and the anger is obvious to everyone in the room. I look between Cameron and Cal, not quite understanding what is going on.

"What are you talking about Cam?" I ask her, walking a couple steps forward. She moves back, the venom in her voice obvious when she replies.

"Oh don't pretend you didn't know Mare! Don't pretend this wasn't one of your ideas. You both send Henry to the front line, to lead the war! You know how dangerous that is! And how long he will be gone!" I shake my head, shocked by what she is saying.

"No Cameron. We aren't sending him to the front line. We would never do that" I say but Cal cuts me off.

"Yes, we would Mare" he says, looking at me when I whip my head to the side to stare at him. He sighs, gesturing with his hand. Our advisors get up, leaving the room. One of them is Ryan. He pats Cameron on the shoulder as he leaves, showing he agrees with her. She doesn't look at him, her eyes stuck on Cal. When they are gone I turn to Cal, ready for his explanation. I pray he is not saying what I think he is. "Henry and I spoke about this, he mentioned the idea..."

Cameron cuts him off. "So you just agree and send him to die. To do your dirty work?" Cal's jaw tenses. I know how much Cal wishes he could be on the front line of the war, but as a King, and with children to protect, he can't. He had to take a step back. As much as it kills him to. I see it every time our soldiers come back in body bags, covered and bloody. He hates not being able to fight.

"I advised against it Cameron. But he is right. He is the best person for this. He knows the land, he was the Prince, and he is a good soldier" she scoffs.

"He is not just a soldier Cal. He is mine, and he has someone who loves him here. How would you like it if a King sent Mare to war, knowing she would probably never come back" she turns to me. "Or how would you feel if Cal's father sent Cal, knowing he would never come back" I frown, my jaw tense. That is exactly what was supposed to happen years ago, when I was Mareena and Cal was a General. He would die in the Lakeland war. Everyone knew it. He would be victorious, but he would die.

I feel the anger bubbling up too, towards Cal. How could he make this decision without me, knowing what Cameron means to me, what Cameron means to him. Not only that, Henry has become our friend, comrade. He doesn't deserve this. He shouldn't have made this decision without me. Cameron wipes a tear from her eye. "I will never forgive you for this. Both of you" when she says the words, they are genuinely sad. I see the anger move into sorrow, and in that moment I know she is telling the truth. She will not forgive this loss.

"Cameron" I say, my voice low, my jaw tense. "give me a moment with my husband" she is quiet, standing there for a couple of minutes before she turns on her heel and leaves. Before she leaves, I don't miss the hope in her eyes, the hope that I will sway Cal to make Henry stay.

When the door closes, I turn to Cal. "What the hell Cal?" I ask, my voice wavering. He stands there, watching me, placing his hands across his chest.

"It was his choice as much as it was mine Mare" he says, trying to sound calm. My voice and stance is anything but.

"Doesn't mean you agree to it" I say, my hand pointing towards the door. "You saw her face"

"It's the only way we will win this war" he says, frustrated.