03: FIERY SUNSETS, MELANCHOLIA, AND BEAUTIFUL, PISSED-OFF LADIES

Start from the beginning

The pair parted ways at the university gate. Gabriel waited until Selina had gotten into a jeepney before he rode another one going towards the opposite direction. Solomon and Solenn leapt to its roof and crouched low as the jeepney driver drove as if hell’s demons were chasing after him.

“I want wings,” Solenn said as she held on to the edge of the roof to keep from falling off. “Why didn’t they give us wings?”

“Maybe because they’re not very handy during battle.” 

“Angels handle them just fine.”

“We’re not angels, ‘Lenn.”

“What’s the difference? Our ancestors were. They were even called the nefilim once. And we have, like, super cool abilities that these normal Humans don’t have. Very celestial, if you ask me.”

“Our ancestors are neither angels nor Nefilim,” Solomon said. “They were just blessed and anointed by the archangels, by order of the Triune. Those ‘super cool abilities’ were just handed down to us. You know, it would do you good to wake up and actually listen to Cielterran History every once in a while.”

Solenn rolled her eyes at her partner’s lecture and just concentrated on not falling off the vehicle’s roof. It wasn’t that she was a bad student. She actually graduated from the Initiative second only to Solomon. It was just that she hated being confined in a classroom when she could be out in the battlefield killing demons or in the training center honing her skills. Besides, Cielterran History wouldn’t be of much help to her when she’s out in the field fighting demons. It wouldn’t help her get stronger. Anything that wouldn’t help her get stronger is irrelevant.

The ride took almost 30 minutes. The jeepney kept stopping at every intersection to pick up passengers or to allow some to get off. There was heavy traffic along Quezon Boulevard because of the churchgoers attending Mass at Quiapo Church. It was Friday, so there’d be more patrons than usual. Solomon and Solenn had inhaled quite a lot of the city’s smog as the jeepney cruised along Manila’s streets.

“If I wanted to destroy my lungs I’d have smoked a long time ago.” Solenn nearly growled as she leapt off the roof and avoided the pile of garbage on the sidewalk. “I don’t know how these Humans are able to live in this polluted, overpopulated city. They should take better care of this world.”

“I know,” Solomon agreed, “but we can’t meddle in their affairs any more than they can’t meddle in ours. We’re here to protect them, not clean up after them.”

Solenn kept quiet as she and Solomon trailed behind their charge. Gabriel easily navigated through the narrow alleys and busy streets of Manila before he stopped in front of a small church. Annexed to the main building was a small orphanage run by the parish priest and a small group of volunteers and social workers.

Gabriel was safe from attacks as long as he stayed within the confines of the church, so the two pulled back from their vigilant watch. They leapt up on one of the church’s roofs and watched the sunset.

The sky was on fire that afternoon. Beyond the grey buildings, the sun slowly descended, casting hues of reds, yellows and oranges against the blue canvass of the sky. a cool breeze blew past the tree that stood lonesome in the churchyard. Just below, the people rushed to their respective destinations, never once stopping to look at the brilliant artwork nature was creating for them.

Solomon and Solenn relished the rare moment of peace. Their line of work could not afford them the luxury of long rests, quietness and solitude. They were raised in a battlefield and grew up wielding swords, axes, chains and maces, instead of playing with toys. They had been soldiers for so long, the memory of a normal childhood was almost lost to them.

They had one, but it was so long ago, it felt like another lifetime. “Look at them, Sol,” Solenn said softly as she watched the Humans rush past the church. “So oblivious to the things happening around them. I wonder what it feels like to be normal.” 

“What’s normal, ‘Lenn?” Solomon asked.

“A thousand things we’re not,” Solenn replied. “A nine-to-five job that doesn’t involve risking our lives. Conversations about work and school instead of weapons and battle strategies. A complete family, maybe.”

“We’re Guardians, ‘Lenn. We fight demons and monsters and we protect people from the spawns of hell. We train, we go to battle, we fight for whatever good that’s left in this world. That’s our normal. You want their normal?”

Solenn thought for a bit before she shook her head and smiled. Her childhood was far from the Humans’ notion of what is normal, but she wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. “No. I like our life as it is.”

Their quiet moment was interrupted by the arrival of their team’s third member. She leapt from another roof and landed on a crouch in front of them. She scanned the area without a word, her black, almond-shaped eyes sharp as it swept the vicinity. Finding nothing out of the ordinary, she stood up and nodded at the two. The breeze played with her long black hair as the sun cast red highlights on it.

“You’re late,” Solenn teased, even though she had a hunch she’d been with them since the jeepney ride. “Trouble along the way?”

“Solenn,” the newcomer said, a sharp edge lacing her usually melodic voice, “if I stay one more minute pretending that I like that moron, I’ll shoot him.” She gave Solenn and Solomon a dirty look. “Or I’ll shoot the two of you.”

Solomon barked out in laughter. “That’s quite a mouthful, especially for you.”

“Tell  him  the  truth.  Knock  him  unconscious  and  drag  him back home. Shoot him dead. I don’t care what you do, but I’m done pretending to enjoy his affections.”

“That’s four sentences!” Solenn teased. “Record breaker!”

“Solenn.”

Solenn doubled over in laughter as her other partner pulled out a huge gun and pointed it at her. “Alright, alright, Eli. I’m sorry I laughed at you.”

“Tomorrow. We tell him tomorrow,” the raven-haired insisted as she lowered her gun. “He was already attacked this afternoon. We can’t risk another attack. We can’t keep him here anymore. It’s time.” They looked below and watched as Gabriel walked out of the church to sweep the fallen leaves scattered on the churchyard.

Solomon’s smile disappeared as he looked at their charge. “Alright, Selina. We’ll tell him tomorrow.”