EXTRA 03: MOMENTS AND MEMORIES

Everything's ready, yes.

Solenn checks her shopping list one more time before moving her scrutinizing gaze on the certificates and tickets she laid out beside her. She does a mental inventory and nodded in satisfaction when she sees that she had already finished her Christmas shopping list.

Ha! Take that, Solomon! No more last minute shopping for her, no sir!

She smirks as she settles more comfortably on the bench. She, Joana and Selina decided to do their shopping separately so they could keep their gifts as surprises. She is quite smug with her gifts, having bought passes and tickets to the most expensive and post spa-resort in Cielos. She wonders what the other girls had bought for the rest of their crazy make-shift family. She also wonders what Mateo would think when he receives his pass — his father owned that resort.

Yep. She is happy she could afford such extravagant gifts now. Guardians get good pay, alright.

"Things and trinkets easily pass and perish, but memories and moments last forever," Magda used to say. Solenn has always kept that nugget of wisdom close to her heart. And besides, it saves her from the stress of choosing which gifts to buy for whomever.

For the Guardians in her squad, she gifted with a holiday week off on top of the mandatory holiday leave they were entitled to.

Contrary to what the entire Cieloson army believed, the Champions also celebrated Christmas. Solenn remembers the bewildered look on her troop's faces when she gave them a weekday off so they could also buy gifts for their respective loved ones. They probably thought that she, dubbed as "The Heartless Captain" of the Lionhearts (somebody gave the name to their troop after winning battle after battle against the demons), would work them to the bone even during the holidays.

Of course not, Solenn said when a Guardian asked her if she was joking. Christmas is a holy season. I might be a bit rebellious, but even I pay homage to the season of the Holy Son's birth.

She also remembers Gabriel's surprise when he first found out that Cielterra celebrates Christmas, too.

"I thought it's an Earth thing," he said.

"You Humans are not the only ones that the Holy Son has saved," Joana said, her eyebrows raised in indignation. "When the Son of Man died on the Cross, He saved every one of us — Humans and Cielterrans alike. That's how all-encompassing the Holy Father's love is."

"The Father's love is not just an 'earth-thing,'" Selina added. Gabriel promptly shut up before he could say anything that would further get him in trouble.

Solenn laughs softly at the memory. She can't wait to give the gifts to her family and friends.

Joana and Selina arrive almost at the same time, the former carrying two armfuls of shopping bags, the latter empty-handed.

"Joana, did you buy the entire mall?" Solenn jokes.

Joana gives a huff as she sits beside Solenn with an exaggerated sigh. "I did not! I just don't know what to buy for you guys. Seriously, what do you give to somebody who can buy this entire mall?"

"Thinking about Mateo?" Selina teases with a smirk.

"What? No! Why would I even think about that dope now?" Joana demands with a small blush coloring her cheeks.

Solenn rolls her eyes at her friend. "Yeah, right, girl," she says, sarcasm dripping with every word. "We all know you like him."

"I don't!"

"Don't worry, Jo," Selina pipes in, "we all know he worships the ground you walk on."

Joana looks ready to burst, so Solenn changes the topic before they had to do damage control from another diva-fit from their dramatic Beta friend. "Eli," Solenn starts as her best friend sits on her other side, "did you do your Christmas shopping, or did you just ogle at the new guns on the specialty weapons store?"

"I bought gifts," Selina says as she shows a familiar-looking envelope to the girls. Solenn's heartbeat spikes a bit as she sees the name of the store it came from.

"Did you buy certificates or tickets from the travel agency on the fifth floor?"

"Yeah, why?"

"What did you buy?"

"There's a promo four-day-two-nights stay at Paradise Island. I bought a pass for everyone because I didn't—" she Selina trails off when she sees the look on Solenn's face. "What's up?"

"Give it back! Buy something else!"

"Now way. I don't want to have to buy gifts for everyone," Selina says. "Besides, weren't you the one who always says that memories are more important than stuff? Go make lots of memories on the resort, or something. I'm not going to buy that much stuff," Selina says while pointing at Joana's bags.

"But Eli, I bought the same thing!"

"Oh crap."

"Oh crap, indeed," Joana agrees. "Did you book for specific dates already?"

Selina nods. Solenn looks sheepish. "Eh? We're supposed to do that?"

"Duh," Selina says, bopping her best friend lightly on the head.

"Look on the bright side then," Joana says. "We get to go on the dates Eli booked, and then we go again some other time to use Solenn's tickets. We get extra days of fun! I'm so looking forward to that. Thanks in advance, ladies. Wouldn't ever have thought of that."

Solenn heaves a great sigh. "Well. When you think about it that way, it's cool."

"Well, now that we've fixed this minor boo-boo, how about we grab some late lunch and then head for home?" Joana suggests. "Because I don't know about you, but I'm so hungry I could eat my arm."

Solenn laughs as she and Selina help Joana with some of her bags. "Not that I don't appreciate whatever gift you're giving me, but next time, just buy me a ticket to that Comic Con thing they're holding in the Center Realm."

"Whatever, 'Lenn," Joana says with a roll of her eyes. "Whatever."

Yes, there are battles to be fought. There are demons to defeat. Wars to be won.

But this is the season for joy and giving, for memories and moments with family and friends. And as they walk to Joana's preferred restaurant, Magda's voice echoes once again in Solenn's thoughts.

Things and trinkets easily pass and perish, but memories and moments last forever.

____

A/N:

Quite a lot of things happened in the past year — workshops I conducted, seminars I attended, mentors I've met, and people I've mentored. All these things contributed greatly to what I know about writing. I honestly stopped writing Book 2 because of the many things I've learned. I wanted to absorb them all and have them reflected in my latest book. 

And now, I believe I'm ready. Book 2 is ready. Thank you all for your patience! We're releasing Book 2 soon. :) 

Love,

Karren