11: STUDY YOUR HISTORY BEFORE YOU GO OUT TO SAVE THE WORLDS

 Gabriel blinked.

“Wait, what?” He sat up straight in his chair and looked at the weird men and women seated on the long glass table. “End of the Worlds?”

Gideon’s eyes softened when he nodded at Gabriel. “The Towers had lit up a few moons back, right after the Sword of Sargatanas was stolen from one of the most heavily guarded rooms in Tower Hope,” he explained. “When the fires of the Towers light up, it means that the Garden of Eden has sensed grave danger in this world and Earth.”

“Grave danger doesn’t even begin to describe what will happen if we don’t retrieve the sword,” Samson continued. “The sword belongs to one of the Demon Majors of hell, Sargatanas. He was among the rebels that had been cast out of heaven. He has the power to slash through dimensions and to transport anyone to different realms. His sword was one of the three keys used to seal him during the Third War for Eden. Anyone who can wield the sword will possess the power of Sargatanas and open portals to different worlds, hell included. Only the Holy Weapons wielded by the Champions can close any portal that the sword has ripped open.”

“Our intelligence unit reports that the sword is now in the possession of an Astanason troop,” Gideon said, activating a three-dimensional map of the Cielterran continent. “They are marching towards the far west of the Cielterran continent, where Gate Pandora was said to be located and —”

“Whoa, hold it!” Solenn’s voice cut through Gideon’s brief, “Gate Pandora? Are they planning to open it?”

“We can only assume that is their plan,” Gideon replied. “What else will they be using the sword for, if not to let loose a legion of demons and other beastly creatures upon Cielterra and Earth? Intelligence says that the army is headed towards the Gate. They’re destroying everything in their paths, as well.”

“How intelligent is this intelligence?” Solenn asked. “Because you know, we can’t just assume. We need facts. Details. Truth.”

“Are you doubting my anino, Solenn?” Deborah asked with a small smile.

“The anino? Well, why didn’t you say so, in the first place?” She leaned back in her chair and motioned for Gideon to continue. “Sir.” 

“The Gate could only be opened during the alignment of the planets, which will happen in a month’s time. You need to intercept the enemy before then.”

“A month? Do we have their location?” Mateo asked.

“The anino are tailing them as we speak,” Deborah replied.

Joana frowned and voiced out something that had been bothering her since she found out about the enemy’s movement. “What about the Guardians stationed all over Cielterra? We have outposts all over the continent, so I doubt they hadn’t crossed swords with the moving enemy.”

“The Guardians are preoccupied doing what they were supposed to do,” Samson replied, “which is to fight demons. The wielder of the sword slashed portals and doors from hell along their way, unleashing hordes upon hordes of demons. It made for a good distraction for the Guardians so they could continue on their path without being stopped by our forces. Troops have been sent to close the portals as well. With Guardians dispatched all over Earth and Cielterra, I’m afraid we’re pretty much stretched thin.”

Solenn shook her head in disbelief. “So many things have happened here while we were gone. Why hadn’t you summoned us back? Why hadn’t you summoned the Earth-bound Guardians?”