Chapter 8

SHERLOCK'S POV

"What do you mean you met Moriarty at the park? Why wasn't I informed? What if one of you died?" John rambled on. Amelia and I had been sitting here for the last hour or so talking to John about our meeting with Moriarty. Well, we had been talking up until the last thirty minutes. That's when John started talking.

"John, if you'd just listen-" I started, trying to get him to stop.

"I am listening! What else would I be doing-" John yelled again. I groaned.

"John," Amelia said softly. She'd been sitting quite calmly, listening to everything John had to say.

"Yes?" John asked, stopping to listen to her. I frowned. How did she do that?

"John, we didn't know what he wanted until we got there. We didn't want you to be worried. If we told you, you would have left Mary by herself. We wanted you both to be safe," Amelia replied, smiling at John. John sighed, pulling her into a hug.

"Okay. Don't do something crazy like that again, alright?" She nodded. "Tea, anyone?"

"I'll have coffee if that isn't a problem," Amelia said. "Sherlock?"

"No, I'm fine," I mumbled. I stared at Amelia while John walked into the kitchen to make our drinks. "How did you do that?"

"Do what?" Amelia asked. She leaned back on the couch, closing her eyes.

"Calm down John. It's nearly impossible."

"No it isn't. You just have to have patience," Amelia explained. "And anyways, it's just some skill I have. It used to work well on my brother, but I'm not sure about now." We sat in silence until John came back with our drinks.

"Black with two sugars, just how you two like it," John said, giving us our coffee. I took a sip of coffee while John spoke.

"What do you think will happen next?"

"I don't know," I answered honestly.

AMELIA'S POV

While I was resting on the couch, I was listening to the boys talking. After a while, I must have drifted off, because the next thing I knew, I was being carried to my room by Sherlock. I only knew it was him because he was telling John something at the moment.

"Should I pretend I'm asleep or am I allowed to be awake?" I asked. I felt him stiffen, so I giggled and opened my eyes. "Were you not expecting me to be awake?"

"No," Sherlock said harshly, setting me down on my bed.

"Well, fine then. Be mean. I was only asking a question. You don't have to be so rude," I mumbled, taking my phone out of my pocket when it vibrated.

How is Sherlock behaving? ~MH

He's being grumpy. ~AM

Is that so? ~MH

No, he's being an absolute angel. ~AM

Fine. Is he behaving moderately well? ~MH

As moderately well as Sherlock can behave. ~AM

Good. ~MH

"I don't need you to make sure I behave," Sherlock argued. I jumped slightly and rolled off of the bed, startled because I was unaware of Sherlock's presence beside me. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm okay. Now what do you want?" I asked, sitting back down on my bed beside Sherlock.

"Nothing. Your presence is calming and it helps me think," Sherlock explained, sitting up and going to his mind palace. I lied down beside him, closed my eyes, and let myself fall asleep.

SHERLOCK'S POV

"Amelia?" I looked down and smiled. She was already asleep, so I wasn't going to be getting much out of her. I slid off of her bed and left her in her room. "John?"

"Yeah?" John asked, looking up from his laptop. Typical. "What are you doing?"

"Searching for cases for you," he answered, sipping his tea.

"Why?" I sat down in my chair, sticking a nicotine patch on my arm. I sighed, leaning back in the chair.

"Because your going to be bored soon, and no one likes it when you're bored," John explained, glaring at me.

"Why not?" I asked, frowning at him. "I'm a likeable person."

"Not when you have a gun in your hand and you're shooting the wall." I glared at him.

"Have you found any yet?" I stood up, pacing back and forth across the room.

"Not yet. Maybe Lestrade will find you one," John replied, looking up from the laptop. "For now, go get some rest. I told Mary I'll be staying the night."

"Fine," I groaned, walking towards my room. I opened the door and slammed it behind me before jumping onto the bed and lying down. It was going to be a long night.