Chapter Three: The Meeting

The chains pulled on my wrists as I crouched in the dark. The door opened a smidgen more, and my pulse increased.

It was Kai! But it was not my Kai. A realization quickly formed in my head: guilt masks.

My eyes widened. When entering the prison, a small chip had been inserted into my neck. It was small but without it, the masks could not work. The minuscule piece of plastic sent electric shocks through your brain, signaling for the body to release cortisol and adrenaline into your bloodstream, mimicking the body's response to fear. These shocks were able to manipulate the hippocampus and track memories that caused significant bodily reactions. The data was then stored in the chip and programmed into the masks, forcing the viewer to look at whoever was related to these fearful memories.

The fear that I experienced on the day I left Kai was unmatched in my past. That day changed me and that was why Kai appeared on the man's face. 

Kai had not moved from outside the door. He stood in the crevice of light, watching me. He had a young build, tall but muscular. Very similar to the man on the mask. But not the same.

I was nervous but tried not to show it. If I was quiet he might leave. He might go on to the next cell where a woman screamed during the night. Maybe he thought it was me. But what was he going to do? What did he want with me?

I was silent as the man stepped into the room.

I stared at the ground. My eyes burned, begging to look up at him. But it was not the soldier I would see. It would be my best friend. It would be Kai. And I didn't know if I could handle that.

Suddenly, he strode forward, kicking the lock block to keep the door open and expertly grabbing the chain with his hand and twisting me around. The chain wrapped around my waist and I tried not to gasp as I felt his breath hot against my neck.

 He remained quiet. Soundless as he did his job. I grunted as he somehow got the chain free from the lock on the floor and forced me to my feet. 

The room spun, I hadn't stood up fully in months. Nausea churned my stomach and I choked down the vertigo threatening to expel bile from my throat. He shoved me forward and I stumbled.

"Don't make me drag you," he growled, barely a whisper. Goosebumps sprouted on my arms and I suppressed a shiver. Carefully, I stood up. I straightened my shoulders and inhaled. 

Exhaling, I stepped forward and he led us out of the cell into the hall. For the first time in almost a year.