Chapter 1.

Remy A. Taylor

As I skipped the steps to my home and jumped off the porch, I chuckled to myself, finding the action ironic.

"When they jumped off the porch I was stumblin' up the steps." I rapped to myself, quoting Lil' Wayne, as I climbed into the drivers seat of my car, tossing my school bag into the passengers seat.

Pulling off in the direction of my high school, I connected my phone to the aux chord and my go-to playlist began blasting 21 Savage, "Real Nigga", and that's exactly what I was feeling like this fine morning.

Once I finally pulled into the school parking lot, I received a text from my best friend.

Dayvid ❤️ - Bitch where are u????!

Rem 💙 - I just pulled up, what's wrong?

Dayvid ❤️ - I'm surrounded by bird brain bitches and I'm totally disgusted.

Rem 💙 - now u know like I know that you're over exaggerating.

Dayvid ❤️ - You'll see when you get to class bitch!!!!

I chuckled to myself before cutting my car off, and heading for my first period.

"Miss Taylor, so nice of you to finally join us. Must you be late every morning?" My favorite teacher, Mr. Jones, asked.

"It takes a lot of money to look this cheap darling." I smiled at him, settling into my seat next to Dayvid.

"Oh thank God. Listen to this shit bitch." Dayvid gestured to the teacher and he continued with what they were discussing before I entered.

"So the topic is colorism. Tatyana, you were saying something about men with lighter skin tones?"

"Yes, lightskin men are always the better choice when it comes to a lot of things. Dating, working, hell, even sports. Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, JT, all light skin, all fine as hell." Mr. Jones gave her a look and she made a motion as if to say sorry, "If you want yo' kids to come out with good hair and good looks, a Chris Brown type of nigga is what you want." Tatyana said, looking as if she thought her answer was completely not stupid as hell.

"Girl are you serious right now?" I turned to look at her before laughing.

"You see what I was telling you bitch." Dayvid shook his head.

Tatyana mugged us, preparing to say something before Mr. Jones stopped her, "Remy, you think otherwise?"

"Lightskin or not you still just as black as the rest of us, and white people don't care. Who you consider a "pretty nigga" out here thinking that since bitches kiss they ass and that they look good, we supposed to worship the ground they walk on. Or they treat people with darker complexions worse than other people. Moral of the story, skin color don't make the nigga a better nigga than the next." I said and Dayvid applauded me.

"I agree with you, Miss. Taylor. The topic is more so on how we treat each other differently based off of skin tone. Any comments?"

A girl who was usually quiet raised her hand, "Darkskin women are looked down upon in this day and age. If you're too dark, everyone makes it seem like you're ugly and they crack jokes on your skin tone."

I completely agreed with that, "Hell yeah, I had an incident where I was friends with this darker girl and everybody would blatantly ask me, 'Why you hang with "that black ass girl?"' It got so bad to the point she hated to even come around me anymore."