Chapter 6 - A New Partner

Start from the beginning

I patted his arm. "It's okay. I am too. And I've told you everything I could since you found out, I swear. Some things your dad won't let me talk about—"

"Like what Nameless Ned's real name is?" Lily asked.

"Exactly," I said, nodding. "But that's because you might find out who he is, which would result in him being arrested and me being suspected."

Albus shrugged. " I just want to know what's going on now."

"Astra and Colette haven't had their letters yet, either," James pointed out. "Neither has Rose, or Colin, or anyone else we know. It's not just us, at least."

There was a loud popping noise outside just then. Lily squealed and jumped up and ran outside before the rest of us could ask what it was. When she came back in seconds later, followed by Eviana and her mum, Albus made a face. "Are all your friends coming over today, Lils?"

"Yes! Elmer and Pip are Flooing over from Pip's house, any time now!"

Mrs. Potter walked into the kitchen just then to greet Mrs. Clausen. Lily and Eviana were chattering away, too quickly for me to keep up with what they were saying. The noise would only increase when the two boys showed up, too. When James stood up and started toward the door, Albus and I followed.

"I suppose we could've asked Eviana if she'd had her letter yet," Albus said as we mounted the stairs.

"Odds are, she hasn't," James pointed out. "Dad brushed it off, but I think something's seriously wrong. Haverna sucks, but at least she'd make sure Hogwarts letters got out on time."

"Well, what do you think it could be?" I asked as James opened the door to his room and ushered us in. "If something were wrong, Haverna would know and take care of it, wouldn't she?"

"If she could. But suppose she couldn't," James said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" asked Albus as he hopped onto the bed.

James made a show of offering me his desk chair before replying. "I don't know, maybe Kimmel won't let her, or it'll give away her loyalties, or something like that?" He sighed, sinking down to sit on the floor. "I just feel like Dad didn't tell us something."

"If he didn't tell us something, it's only because he wants us safe," I said firmly.

"Or he doesn't trust us to keep a secret," Albus said glumly.

"You know that's not true," I said. "He could've just obliviated all of you after you found out I was a spy, for example. But he didn't, because he thought you could handle it."

Albus sighed. "I guess speculation won't help much."

"Can't hurt," James said.

"Actually," Albus started, rolling his eyes, "it really can."

As they started to argue, I felt something grow warm in my pocket. The penny. For a moment, I froze. This wasn't just a normal report. I was fairly sure I'd meet this second spy tonight. I glanced at the two boys. Would they notice if I left? They took arguing very seriously, and tended to give it all of their attention. Slowly, I stood up and hurried to the door.

I locked myself in the bathroom, just to have an excuse, then slowly pulled the coin out of my pocket. The message simply read, Meeting the second tonight. That most likely meant I would meet whoever the new agent was at Hogwarts, the one I'd have to work with. I really hoped it was someone who wasn't interested in working together closely. If it was, that would complicate things a lot. At the very least, I hoped it wasn't a Gryffindor. Better yet if it wasn't a student, because it would be easier for Mr. Potter to find evidence against the person if they were a professor or another staff member.