Chapter 10

I packed my last bag and sat on the edge of my bed staring at the wall. The plane would be leaving for boot camp at approximately 2 p.m. My parents were gone and they already wished me good luck as they left the house for work. I was missing so much school by now but I didn’t worry about it. Victoria said she would drive me to the airport and leave school early to do so. I picked up my luggage and dragged them downstairs to the front door and turned on the TV for a bit. There was a knock at the door and I got up to answer it.

"Coming!" I shouted on my way to the door. I opened it and Victoria was there. Her eyes were a little red, like she'd been crying or something.

"Are you alright?" I asked her. She didn’t say anything and just hugged me tightly. I held her back and buried my face in her hair.

"I don't want you to leave." She mumbled.

"Me either, this is my dream though." She pulled back and I wiped her tears away. She caught my hand and held onto it.

"I know." She said. We loaded my bags into her car and rode off to the airport. Both hands were on the steering wheel and she didn’t even look at me.

"Don't be mad." I pleaded.

"I'm not." She spat.

"You're obviously upset." I stated. She loosened her grip on the wheel and sat back in her seat.

"You don't what'll happen. You might never come back." I put my hand on her knee.

"That's not true. Whatever happens I'll always come back. You're my other half." She smiled and we pulled into the airport and parked. It was pretty packed inside and it took us a little bit get through security. I recognized a few other contestants that tried out and they came up to me.

"Ted!" I said giving him a hug.

"Harry man, how are you?" He said cheerfully.

"Good. This is my girlfriend Victoria." I said introducing them. She shook his hand and they exchanged greetings.

"You told me you had a girl but not a hot one." He laughed.

"She's mine." I teased. We talked for a little longer before he walked off to get something real quick.

"Flight 182 is now boarding. Flight 182 is now boarding." The announcement said.

"That's me." I said to her. She just smiled weakly.

"Don't forget me okay?" She asked.

"Never. I'll tuck you in every night on the phone." I said wrapping her in a hug. She pulled away and kissed me before I turned to leave. She waved goodbye as I started to board and stood there with her arms crossed over her chest. I looked down trying to not cry and I boarded the plane.

We landed in boot camp territory about 2 hours later. Everyone on the plane were contestants as well and I felt pretty nervous. There were some people that were about my age but I didn’t talk to them.

Vans were outside to take us to the place and we all piled into each one. The hotel we were staying at was pretty massive when we arrived and I grabbed my bags and headed inside.

I shared a room with Ted and we were all soon called down. Simon Cowell along with the 3 other judges were seated at the front of the big room. He called everyone on stage and gave us the details of what we should be expecting.

"Obviously you all know that not all of you can stay. Eliminations will be starting today and there will be a handful of you that will be sent home. You will perform solo first, then in groups. After solos we will choose who can stay for groups and so on. We wish you the best of luck and don’t forget to give it your all." Everyone shifted in place and started to shuffle around as people started to perform. Not even 2 hours into the boot camp 150 out of 500 was eliminated. The stage director told me it was my turn and I took a deep breath before heading on stage. The judges smiled at me as I sang my song. Simon kept quiet while the others were complimenting me and I headed off pretty confident.