Chapter 9

Percy Jackson

   I stood by the boats, waiting for Roran, Horst and Baldor. The clouds were low over the ocean, a stormy gray. The wind blowed erratically, causing whitecaps you wouldn't see back on Earth. At least not on a normal day. I could hear the dying calls of fish, and I felt revolted at the smell of them rotting. But I could not do anything, for I had a cover to keep. And I hated that feeling. That feeling of helplessness. While I was lost in my inner struggle, Roran and Baldor had walked up, seeing the ocean for their first time. They stood entranced, watching the magnificence that is my fathers realm.

   "Quite a sight, isn't it?" Horst said, glancing at the entranced men.

   "Aye." Roran says simply.

   "Makes you feel rather small, doesn't it?" Nope! I feel powerful when I see the ocean, knowing I could control it on a whim. But, not everyone is the son of Poseidon.

   "Aye," Baldor said as well. Ok, hold up. Whats with everyone saying Aye, in this world?!

   My little sea dragon, its probably the fact that this is still in ancient times, compared to your time, and New York. You have had centuries to develop your speech, while they would still be considered centuries behind. Although, now I'm wondering if that means that Alagaesia is like, Earth before humans advanced, or maybe an alternate universe where they just never advanced because of magic....

   Ok, woah Adurna. Overthinking a little? And im pretty sure that was what Annabeth would call a rhetorical question.... right?

   Yes my little sea dragon, it was meant for a rhetorical question. But that doesn't mean I cant answer it. It was just meant not to be answered.

   Ohhhhhhhhhh. Ok!

   I was pulled from my conversation with my suddenly affectionate dragon Adurna, by Roran and the group walking off to find someone called Clovis.

=============================================================================

   Half an hour walk later, we found this Clovis dude, planting some plant bulb on the path to his front door. Maybe people here do bother with pretty non-necessities. And then I had to stand there for an additional hour as Roran and his men tried to convince the dude that they were really actually interested in his barges. The stout man with a salt and pepper beard led us back to the sheds, where he then unlocked to reveal three identical barges. Merrybell, Edeline, and Red Boar. 

   So the other two get pretty, feminine names, and the other poor one got stuck with Red Boar! How unfair! I see a bias here!

Adurna snorts in silent amusement, as I examine each ship to see why in Zeus's beard would one be named differently. All three were 75 feet long, twenty feet wide, an painted a rusted red color. They had open holds for heavens knows what, and a mast that could be erected in a single sail in the center. Nothing like the massive cargo ships at home. 

   "Their draft be deeper than that of an inland scow," Clovis explains. What in Tartarus is an inland scow?! "so you needn't fear them capsizing in rough weather, though you'd do well to avoid being caught in a real tempest. These barges aren't meant for the open sea. They're meant to stay within sight of land. And now would be the worst time to launch them. By my honor, we've had nothing but thunderstorms every afternoon for a month."

   Yo, Adurna, think we could change that? I question, thinking of how I seem to have a slight power over storms. With our combined might we could probably....

   We might be able to, my little Sea Dragon. But you are also stronger here than Earth, seeing as this world is more adjusted to magic. Adurna rumbles, sending me a funny imagine of her having her claw on her chin in a thinking face. I smile, and decide to tune back into the conversation. One day, Adurna's gonna end up being my babysitter. Right you are, Percy. Adurna grumbles, albeit affectionately.

    Roran was walking towards the boat, or barge as they called it, Edeline. He was examining the barge for damage, and though the ship was old, I could tell the wood was sound and the paint fresh. Son of Poseidon thing.

   "If we replace the missing men in your crews, how much would it cost to go to Teirm with all three barges?" I glance back at Roran, rather amused. I could tell he was thinking. Clovis glances at us nervously.

   "That depends. The sailors earn fifteen coppers per day, plus as much good food as they can eat and a dram of whisky besides. What your men earn be your own business. I wont put them on my payroll. Normally we also hire guards for each barge,, but they're--" Clovis is cut off from his nervous ramble by a, very impatient, Roran might I add.

   "They're off hunting, yes. We'll provide guards as well." He says, staring intensely at Clovis. The knob in Clovis' throat bobs, and he glances nervously at me, my imposing figure, and the swords swinging from my belt. I doubt he had much doubt about the guards and their ability to fight.

    "That'd be more than reasonable... so it would. In addition to the crew's wage,, I charge a fee of two hundred crowns, plus recompense for any damage to the barges on account of your men plus-- as both owner and captain-- twelve percent of the total profit from sale of the cargo." I find amusement in that statement, Roran is looking for ships to transport the village of Carvahall, not barges to transport livestock or whatever.

    "Our trip will have no profit." Roran says very bluntly. It kinda reflects the way he fights, very blunt, and very little maneuvering. That seemed to unnerve Clovis more than or Roran. He then took his sweet time deciding whether or not to allow us to buy the barges. After starting to talk, and then stopping, he finally answers,

   "If that be the case, another four hundred crowns upon completion of the voyage. What-- if I may make so bold as to inquire-- do you wish to transport?" I could tell Roran was enjoying frightening Clovis.

   "Livestock, and assortment of animals you could say." I say, my mask of cold indifference never slipping. Clovis looks at me in slight surprise, probably confused as to why the 'bodyguard' would talk.

   "And why do you want to take them to Teirm?" Clovis asks. Roran then answers mysteriously.

   "We have our reasons." I then, being bored, break into the oh so interesting conversation.

   "As much as I love sitting here, debating over something as silly as barges and what you want to put on them, I'm bored. So Roran, I'll see you at camp." I say, smirking at Clovis' astonished face. I then turn around, and swagger back towards the gates, feeling instead of seeing Roran's brief shake of the head in exasperation. 

Hey Demigods!

Sorry this took so long. Like truly sorry. And I'm surprised at the votes I have! Thank you for believing in me!

So, enjoy this chapter. I'll be working on the next chapter of Water In The Shadows next, and then Wings of a War, and so on and so forth. I have a little break for a few days, so I'll see how many chapters I can crank out.

Keep sarcastic!

-Mitty