Chapter 7

Roran

Early the next morning, I rose, and set about waking up the village. Our camp was in an uproar when Ragni materialized beside me, grinning at the sight before us.

"Now I don't feel so bad about the state of my friends when we go to battle. This is even more hectic than camp on the last day." He chuckles, startling me. Glancing over, I see the teen, a sack on his back, his swords in his sheath, and a tiny dragon-like lizard curled round his neck. The lizard had spikes sprouting from its head like a mane, green, like Ragni's eyes, with tiny white swirls decorated the spikes. It's horns and neck spikes were a solid white, blinding almost. Deep royal blue scales covered its body, with purple swirls swirling down its body. It's underbelly was a light ocean blue, and it's wings were sea green. It sleepily looked up at Ragni's voice, then rested its head back on it's shoulder.

"This isn't quite going to plan..." I trail off, hesitantly looked back over at the much more experienced man. "Also, what is that dragon-like lizard around your neck?" I was glad to find something to distract myself from the chaos I created with my speech, a headache already blossoming behind my forehead. Ragni snorts in laughter, his eyes mischievously darting round our crazed camp.

"Yea, no dip, Sherlock. And this is Adurna, a small reptile that's related to dragons. They are exactly like dragons, except they are smaller, don't have magic, and can't breath fire. Basically, I have my own small, harmless dragon! They are called Δράκους." He beams at me, starting to fiddle with his bead necklace. I laugh at his antics, amused by the fact that he has an almost illegal pet wrapped around his shoulders like a scarf. But the no dip, Sherlock confused me. It was no type of talking, or cussing, I had ever heard. But then again, I hadn't been everywhere. A healthy silence fills the air, and I glance back towards the chaos. In the early morning sun, animals were running everywhere, bleating their heads off. Through this, children ran around, screaming things adults had told them to do to help them. The adults were struggling to walk through the craziness, and them shouting to each other wasn't helping deafen the din.

"Soo.... do you think you could help?" I question, hesitant. Ragni was still a relatively new figure, and I hadn't had a leader to look up to yet. He grins, and I instantly regret my decision to help him.

"Sure! Adurna can help!" His grin becomes somewhat maniacal, and Adurna lifts off his shoulder in an unspoken command. She flies high above the village, and I grow worried.

"Ragni, try not to hurt or frighten them too much." I shout, watching his grin drop slightly. Pouting, he turns back to me.

"Your no fun!" He says, but then point back to Adurna, and I watch the show. Adurna trills a couple times, but I can't hear it over all the noise. She opens her maw, and roars, but for her tiny body, she still isn't heard. She glances at Ragni, and he shrugs.

"We tried." He states, before Adurna lifts her talons, and water starts levitating off the ground, and swirls around Adurna. The whole village quiets, and gapes at the mini dragon moving the water. All the water in the camp swirls around her, and, glancing down on us, a trident forms, glowing green for a second, before all the water vanishes, returning to its spot before the whole fiasco. Adurna, seeing her work done, flies back down to Ragni, and curls up, going back to sleep. She acted like this was an every day thing. But if it got everyone's attention, it worked. Everyone faced us, and people openly stared at Ragni beside me. Horst and a couple other men pushed through the crowd, weapons out and aimed at Ragni.

"Hey! That's no way to treat an ally, now is it?" Ragni jokes, calmly sidestepping all the weapons. "Besides, Roran here and everyone else would already be dead if I wanted them to be." He says brightly, twirling a  dagger that came from nowhere round his fingers. A newfound wariness settled on my bones with that sentence, as I knew it could happen. We really wouldn't want Galbatorix to get his hands on him. I could also hear the dark underlining tone, practically begging them to try and attack him.

"Ragni, please try not to scare Horst and his men." I say nervously, watching as the tension lessened in the mens muscles.

"Ragni, as in the powerful new ally we found yesterday?" Horst rumbles, raising an eyebrow at him. Ragni stiffened, his eyes glaring at Horst.

"I have experienced more than anyone in this realm has experienced. My love was tortured before me, and hundreds of friends and acquaintances have died, so me, and my world could continue living. Do not, and I repeat, do not judge those who you haven't met." He growls, his eyes splintering ice, and his voice scraped over our bones. Everyone paled, and Horst lowered his weapon. For the first time in my short life, I saw fear in his eyes, and I hastened to end the tension.

"Carvahall, this Ragni, the man I told you about yesterday. He has come to help us, and travel to this Varden he speaks of. Treat him well." I say gruffly, eyeing Horst and his men. Everyone nods, and Ragni takes the reins.

"K, so I have experience in this stuff, no judging Horst, and I'll be helping. All the ladies, move to the right of the camp, and start packing everything for your family. Go on, you can talk to ya men later. Chop chop!" Ragni directs, his manner of speech throwing everyone off for a second. He continues organizing everything, and I set about helping. In no time, all of Carvahall is ready to journey through the Spine, and brave the dangers it brings.

Hey demigods!

Mitty here!

I hope my story isn't going to slow or anything, I've found writing on a laptop helps with writing, and it takes forever to get my hands on one.

The next chappie will have a timeskip, and I'm wondering what P.O.V. I should do it in. It'll be when Carvahall is at their first city, so yeah.

Remember to give me feedback, and the like!

Vote! Comment! Share!

-CatsWillFly551

(Mitty)
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤