Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Luke turned around, snapping his attention to me when he heard the door open. His eyes went wide for a few seconds, but he then looked away to the girl next to him, who was sleeping silently.

I just stood there, my mouth slightly open and hand trembling. My brain stopped functioning in a way that I couldn't comprehend what was happening around me.

But to my shock, Luke started laughing. "My, my, I'm so honored that you're here. Had fun at your partyyy?" He slurred, and I noticed quite a few empty bottles of beer on the floor.

"Oh, so you're back to getting wasted and then hooking up with total tramps? I thought you changed, and that was beneath you." I managed to spit out, even though the rest of me was still numb.

Luke cracked up, sitting up on the bed, swaying slightly to balance himself. "You thought I changed?! This is me, Tori, and as you clearly said the other day, this was a job. I'm the same guy I always was, but we were just an act that I had to play along with."

His words hit me hard, and I managed to walk closer to the edge of the bed. By now, the girl he was with was fully awake, clearly drunk as well. I angrily threw her clothes, that were occupying the floor, at her. "Get the hell out of my hotel room."

"Actually, sweetheart, this is my hotel room. In a few hours you will be gone. Ah, which reminds me." Luke stood up from the bed-and to my relief he was wearing boxers- and stumbled over to a dressing table and grabbed an envelope.

He moved so that he was now right in front of me, and I could smell the beer that seemed to soak his whole body. "Considering the fact that I was a job for you, I thought it would only be right for me to give you your paycheck. So here you go."

I stood there, gobsmacked to what was happening right now. Why was Luke acting like this? I blinked back tears, and crossed my arms. "Keep it, I don't need it. You weren't just a job for me, Luke."

Luke chuckled again, and turned around to the girl laying in our bed, who was wearing a very drunk and confused expression. "Did you hear that? She's acting all noble now."

"I'm being serious, Luke." I hissed, biting back my need to slap him in the face.

Luke grabbed my hand, and forced the envelope in it. "Consider it a going away present."

I pushed his hand off me, but kept the envelope in my hand, thinking about my mom and the reason why I had originally agreed to this job. But it turned out to be so much more than that.

Moving away from him, I grabbed my suitcase, and quickly zipped it up, wanting to immediately leave. Home never seemed so good, at this point.

Grabbing the handle, I rolled it to the door, keeping my head to the floor. Before I left the room, I turned around to see Luke getting back in the bed.

"Goodbye, Luke."

Luke turned to look right in my eyes. In that moment, in those beautiful eyes, I saw all our memories flash by. He opened his mouth to say something, but immediately closed it.

And with that, I shut the door behind me.

**

The car ride to the airport was very silent. Beau insisted on taking me instead of getting a cab, so I was now sitting in the very nicely built car, playing with my fingers.

"You seem kind of distant, did something happen with Luke?" Beau asked, keeping his eyes on the road.

"No, we just talked a bit." I lamely lied, and Beau gave a disbelieving scoff.