home sweet home

I wake up, an unknown amount of hours later, to someone gently shaking my shoulder. There's a large bruise on my shoulder, so it hurts like Hell and I cry out in pain. "Ow! Hey!" My eyes flick open and I realize that at some point I must have drifted off. "Sam? What's wrong?" His face is covered with a panicked expression as he shakes me awake.

"We have to go." He says, and I sit up, noticing he has a few bags in his arms. Everything of the brothers', and mine, that was in the hotel room is now tucked neatly into three bags.

"Why? What's wrong?" I look around the room. "Where's Dean?" He's the only one that isn't there, and a bad feeling settles into my stomach. "Sam?"

Sam just shakes his head, and I watch as he pulls the keys to the Impala out of his pocket. My stomach really drops now. Dean would never let Sam drive his car unless -- "Something bad happened." Sam admits.

"What happened?" I am now fully awake, and I grab my bag from the man's arm with shaking hands. "Where's Dean?" I repeat.

"Well, after you were freed, we went into Ruby's little layer." Sam begins.

I nod. "I know. And Cas left me here, and he went back to help you." With the angel's help, nothing should have gone wrong. "What went wrong?"

"Oh, you know, everything." Sam scoffs nervously. "Come on, I'll explain the rest of it to you in the car." 

I follow Sam out to the car, and once we get on the road, I ask him to explain. "What is the rest of it?" I ask.

"Well, after Cas came back, Ruby brought out a shape shifter --"

"Wait, a what?" I say, turning to look at him.

"A shape shifter. They can look like anyone they want. Anyways, she brought out a shape shifter that looked just like you ... so we all thought that Ruby had taken you again. Dean freaked out at Cas, then, because it was his job to protect you --"

"He did protect me, though."

"Yes, but it appeared like he didn't. Anyways, Dean freaked, and this shapeshifter that was pretending to be you, well, it looked like you were beaten very badly. Worse than you actually were. And, then, just to show how serious she was, Ruby ... well, she cut off one of the shape shifter's fingers, and ...." Sam pauses and glances over at me. I stare at him in shock.

"You thought she cut off one of my fingers?" I ask.

Sam nods. "Dean didn't like that at all. He started yelling at Ruby, and he lunged at her, and then she threw him against the wall, then threw the shape shifter against the wall ... and it's skull cracked. Ruby killed the shape shifter, making all of us think that she killed you ... and Dean went ballistic." 

"He did?" I ask. I'm surprised Dean would care that much.

"Yes. And so then some of Ruby's thugs took him, held him down, and Ruby explained that she could bring you back ... if Dean sacrificed himself to her." Sam clears his throat awkwardly, and a lump forms in my throat as I think of what happened next.

"No, he didn't ..."

"He did." Sam nods. "He handed himself over to Ruby, and once she had him, Cas came back, after leaving to check on you again, and ... he said that you were okay, sleeping in the hotel room. But Dean, Ruby, and all the minions had vanished."

"Oh my God." My heart is racing and I feel like I am about to puke. "Is he dead? Oh my God, Sam, is Dean dead because of me?"

"He's not dead." Sam shakes his head. "No, Cas knows where he is. That's where we're going right now."