Chapter 21-Prom Night

Start from the beginning

Before making his way out he plugged the power cord into the socket of the camera, still making sure that he could not be seen inside his fathers office.

"Thanks father," he whispered as he walked out of the large glass building and back home.

His plans to steal Elizabeth away were now nearly complete.

He had the money and the storage room where he would keep her. After a few weeks when the search parties would grow tired of trying to find her, he would take her out late at night and move her as far from their town as possible. His skin filled with goosebumps as he thought about his plans.

Nothing could possibly stop him now.

*****************

Anne and Elizabeth along with their dates lined up in front of the limo outside of Rohan's large house.

" Alright everyone say cheese!" Rohan clicked the shutter of his digital camera.

" Ah I'm blinded !" Elizabeth joked as the white flash of the camera blocked her sight for a few seconds.

As the teens gathered and began entering the limo Rohan pulled Zach aside for a moment.

"I'm very grateful to you, I have not seen my niece smile and be so happy in such a long time. Not since I left our family house years ago." Rohan said, his eyes had this sad glow about them.

"Please take care of her tonight," he finished, his hand fell on Zach's shoulders.

"I will sir."

Rohan watched the stretched out SUV limo pull into the street, he waved at as it disappeared across the corner.

His cellphone began to vibrate. It was his attorney.

"Natan, you have good news for me?" he asked as he walked back to his home.

"Well yes and no. Basically what I found out was that due to Mr. Satti's records,he may have difficulty getting his passport approved in the beginning. However, if he does manage to enter since his prior offenses have passed many years, he has all the rights to retrieve his daughter. He is her father after all Rohan."

Rohan felt his heart sink. He took a seat at the front steps, not caring about the fact that it would dirty his sleek black pants.

"I see,"

Natan broke the small tense silence to continue, "As long as you can prove, physically, that he is a danger to the child and prove that she is now in a safe environment then the state may grant you guardianship."

"I was going to file for guardianship on the grounds that she had been abandoned,"

Natan cleared his throat, "I suggest that you gather any physical evidence now to prove a case that her being taken by her father would be dangerous to her well-being. I will help by obtaining the records of his previous offenses. Unfortunately, she is still only 14 and at that age the courts don't usually take the child seriously. If she was 16 or older it would be much easier. "

"She's turning 15 soon...although I guess that doesn't make a difference yet." sighed Rohan, after a long pause he registered everything his lawyer advised him. "Very well Natan, I will get everything together. Let's meet some time next week."

"Sounds good, take care Rohan. My best to your niece."

*******************************

"So how are you liking prom?" Zach held Elizabeth tightly on the dance floor as they swayed to a soft slow song. Anne and Alex were right at their side.

"It's nothing short of amazing,"

She leaned in and rested her head on his chest. "I wish this never had to end..."

The song ended and she looked back up at him, his eyes looked glossy in the banquet hall. "This is just the beginning for us Lizzy," Zach kissed her forehead.

"Alright everybody! It's time to announce our candidates for Prom King and Prom Queen!"

A roar of applause and cheers erupted among the senior class and their dates.

Anne pulled Elizabeth to the side, "Nervous?"

"Y-yeah, there's so many people here."

"Relax you and Zach both look great. You guys are going to win by a landslide!" Anne winked at her friend as the professor finished announcing the first candidate.

"....and our second candidates are Anne Leverette and Alex Brower,"

Another round of applause resonated in the hall, Alex took hold of Anne's hand and raised it high showing her off. In the spirit of the mood, Anne did a little twirl that made the crowd roar louder.

"...pff show off," Zach smirked.

"....and our last candidates are Elizabeth Satti and Zachary Alexander,"

The last round of applause was the loudest, Zach took the opportunity to out do Alex. He took Elizabeth and dipped her, with her back arched her foot suddenly came up involuntarily. This sweet move looked like it was straight out of a movie scene.

"W-woah at least warn me that you're going to do that!" Elizabeth pouted at him.

"Boo! Cheap shot!" Alex reared causing both boys to laugh at their quirkiness.

"...and now, I have the tallied votes for our winners..." the professor pulled out the card from the envelope.

Elizabeth gripped onto Zach's hands as their names were read out loud once again to the crowd.

Confetti blew out and the music boomed.

Zach hugged his girl and they quickly approached the staged for crowning.

Steady..steady.... Elizabeth told herself, her legs were shaking and she feared she might tip over on her heels.

A bouquet of flowers were handed to her as a small tiara was placed on her head.

She looked at the crowd of students, an overwhelming emotion tightened around her throat. Ever since her mother died, her life had drastically changed. She was removed from her school and friends she loved so much. Her father kept her in their house to do nothing but clean and help with the garden out back. Her days playing in the sun with her friends after school were no more, she was to remain locked in her room alone for hours on end.

Sometimes her father forgot she was home as he stayed out all night drinking away the grief of his dead wife. Until finally the day came when a man who had seen Elizabeth outside in the garden pulling out the weeds approached her father.

"She is a beautiful girl. She will go for a very high price."

Her father listened to the man with dead eyes.

"You will not have to worry about money once she is married."

Once he broke the news to his daughter Elizabeth broke down and cried, pleading with her father at his feet. But all her wailing had no effect on him

"Don't worry daughter, he will be a good man and you will live in a wealthy household. You will give him healthy beautiful children...all will be well."

It was a life of hell after her cherished mother died; she thought she would never be happy again.

Now as she looked down at the smiling students, at her friends and at the boy she loved tears began streaming down her face. But she held her head up and did not wipe them. She chose to start a new life, she chose to fight against her father's plans and she decided the moment she called her uncle for help that from that day on she would do her best to better herself and pursue her dreams without letting anyone tell her that she couldn't.

This is the beginning...and all will be well from now on. I will not let anyone stand in my way of happiness again.

Her mind flashed with the priest.

Not even him...