5. The Boys

Vorfreude- the joyful, intense anticipation that comes from imagining future pleasures

The rest of the week passed by in a blur and before I knew it, it was Friday. I quickly got out of my bed and put on jeans and a Valentino button. I curled the ends of my hair, put on mascara, grabbed my Marc Jacobs and I was good to go. I went downstairs and saw my mother sitting at the dining room table with an expression on her face that looks like she could not give less of a shit, as per usual.

I mumble a "good morning" and grab a french toast bagel off the table, cut it in half and spread some butter on it. I still have ten minutes before I have to leave, but I really don't want to sit here with her. All I ever feel around her is tension, she makes me feel like I am constantly on edge. I have always have to do everything perfectly, no matter what it is.

I tell her I have to drop something off at the post office before school. She gives me a skeptical look, but doesn't question me. I walk out the door and immediately feel myself relax. Whether it be from how good the bagel is or from leaving the room with her, I don't know.  

I start to walk towards the school and look at my watch and sigh when I realize I am seven minutes to early. There isn't even a place to sit, I hate eating standing up.  I look out at the Grande Canal again, when all of sudden I hear a whistle. I look towards the direction of the noise, and immediately recognize the group of people as Harry's friends. They start to walk over to me and I try to act like I'm not having a mini heart attack inside.

"Good morning" one of them says. I identify Michael, but I don't know who the other three are.

"Hi" I say shyly.

"Hey! You're the girl I got mayo on at lunch on Monday" Michael exclaims.

"Yeah, that's me. Thank you for that by the way" I say sarcastically.

"So what are you doing standing out here by yourself?" one of them asks me, and winks. Is this what guys consider flirting nowadays? Wow, chivalry really is dead.

"I'm walking to school..." I trail off. Are these guys really that dumb? Do they think I would just voluntarily stand out here at seven in the morning on a Friday?

"Why, don't you drive?"

"If I drove, I wouldn't be standing here" I quip.

"You're quite sarcastic, aren't you?"

I just smirk at him and rip a piece off my bagel. Why is it that I'm always eating food in front of attractive guys when I see them?

"Do you want a ride?" Is he serious?

"I don't even know your name and you don't even know mine. What makes you think I would get in a car with you?" Where the hell is Harry anyway? If these are his friends shouldn't he be here with them?

"Ok, I'm Brody, and your name is?"

"Elise, nice to meet you" I say and shake his hand. I totally just contradicted everything I just said.

"Would you like a ride to school, Elise?" He says again.

I look at my watch to give myself a second to think. Then, I scan all four of the boys.

"Are you going straight to school or do we have to make stops along the way?" I say.

"Straight to school" He smiles. He has a really nice smile. Not as nice as Harry's, but it's still gorgeous.

"Are you gonna kidnap me?"

"No, I'm just being nice and offering you a ride." I look into his eyes and I feel like I can trust him. My mother always said that you can tell a lot about a person by looking into their eyes, and right now I can see trust in Brody's eyes. That is probably the only thing my mother has ever taught me that is actually useful.