CNW 46: City of the Nightmares

Start from the beginning

I know, that will be the definition of someone who doesn't know him, or someone who doesn't interact with him yet. But for me, yes, I might define him with that.

But his cold demeanor was just his way of letting them fear him. And in order to become a effective leader in this world, you should feel the fear in able to follow someone. Yes, it may come out from fear itself, but without it, you won't stand out. You can't make them follow you or else, they might see you weak.

Not only him, but also the other leaders. They have their own behavior that stands out on every strangers until they know them well. Parang kami lang. Unang tingin kay Dustine ay cold ito at walang pakialam sa iba, pero ang totoo'y labis itong mag alala sa amin. That's how they hide their true self.

“What are you thinking?” Alpha asked as he sat on the opposite big trunk of tree to where I am. Ah. Masyado na yata akong napaisip. I shook my head to erase my thoughts.

“Wala naman,” Totoo ba? “I mean, I think every door in this Lost City has… err, how do you call it…”

“Lessons?” I sideway look at him. Nakita kong nakasandal ito sa katawan ng puno at nakapikit ang mga mata. His long eyelashes… I quickly averted my gaze.

“Yeah…” Lessons naman talaga ang nasa isip ko kanina, bakit hindi ko masabi? Aish! “By the way, are you okay?” Sumandal rin ako sa puno nang tinanong iyon. Bali, iisang puno lang ang sinasandalan namin.

Alpha only hummed. Dumaan ang katahimikan ngunit hindi ito awkward. Until he spoke. “How about you?” He asked as I felt him move.

Oh. I look at the gauze on my left wrist and smile. “Unexpected fine,” I don't know but it felt like some heaviness on my heart has been lifted.

“Your friends are calling you,” Alpha said that caused me to look at him.

Nakatingin ito sa isang gawi kaya't napatingin ako doon. Nakita ko si Yvonne at Archangel na kumakaway, kasama si Prince na natatawa at si Red na napapailing lang. Sa tabi ni Red ay si Stanley na sa iba nakatingin. Oh.

I smiled at them and also waved. “No. They're not just my friends but also yours.” I chuckled as I look at him. “Tara?” Nakatingin ito sa ibang gawi. Hindi pa ito nagsasalita nang bumaba ako.

He tsked. “Careful, lady.” But I just grinned at him.

“All fine!” I shouted as I turned my back on him, running to where my friends are.

***

What is your definition of nightmare? Is it losing someone you love? Or is it something that you can't even name what is it about?

I felt tears ran down on my cheeks as I look at the scene in front of me. I'm not dumb to not realize where we are. We are at the city of nightmares, that I could see the nightmare I've been trying to forget through my entire life.

“Dad! Don't go!” I heard Layrah shout as she's struggling through my tight hold on her shoulder.

She was too young to experience this.

Ako nga'y sobrang nasasaktan na, ano pa kaya itong nakababata kong kapatid?

I was just nine and Layrah's seven when our father left us for his mistress. I saw how big the damage did to my mother. She was so broke. She was crying every night that I could hear her voice, repeatedly calling my father's name in her sleep. But everytime she'll look at us with a sweet smile on her face like she didn't cry in night, it broke my heart into pieces.

“Mom? Babalik pa ba sa'tin si Daddy?” Layrah unconsciously asked. I stiffened on my sit as I saw my mom halted from preparing our breakfast.

“Layrah.” Mariin kong pagbabawal dito ngunit tumingin lamang ito ng inosente sa'kin.