1. Prisoners of War

Aelin

There was so much pain. Everything hurt.

She vaguely remembered what had happened before the Queen of Fire had been stuffed into an iron coffin forged for the sole purpose of holding her. Well, at least she was enough of a threat that Maeve wanted her broken and hurt just so she was able to torture her more.

She couldn't help but laugh at her helplessness. The Fire-Breathing Bitch Queen taken down by her aunt who belonged to the Darkness. Ironical how the darkness where the fire is supposed to burn the brightest is actually the reason why the flame isn't burning at all...

She was tired. So tired.

She didn't even want to think about her charred tattoos. Because that would mean thinking about the silver-haired warrior who had so carefully etched them on her scarred back.

Maeve wasn't holding her just to make a statement. She enjoyed it. It was as if she needed to satisfy some deep-rooted need to inflict pain and fear. She made her leashed dog rub salt on all of the wounds she so carefully instructed him to inflict.

I am Aelin Ashryver Galathynius and I will not be afraid.

She had tried to earn courage from the mantra which had helped her when a different darkness had enveloped her. When a different person had enslaved her.

It didn't work anymore.

Nothing did.

It was just her and the darkness that consumed her.