Seven

Theo hovered for another minute waiting for his son to appear but it seemed Malachi had been delayed longer than Ellie expected. Perhaps he should return to the town square? It would be a shame to miss out on his own birthday party, even despite the food.

He loved Ellie like a daughter. Everyone did. But the comparisons with Tila were inevitable considering how much time they spent together.

The girls had become close friends the day Tila saved Ellie's life. Ellie was just eleven when the raiders attacked New Haven. Tila was only fourteen. Theo remembered that day almost too well. He and Ellie both lost something precious.

Perhaps Tila had too. No one should have to fight for their life at fourteen, and no fourteen-year-old girl should have to take one.

Ellie had followed Tila around like a puppy for weeks after that. Who could blame her? Tila made her feel safe.

Tila had shown her mettle that day. Theo could respect her courage and admire her strength but it was a pity she saw him as an enemy too.

But Theo also knew that Tila was too independent, too wilful. To put it plainly, she was too selfish. Theo worried about the influence she had on other members of the community, not least his own son.

Theo respected Tila's ideals of independence and freedom but had tried explaining to her that the price of living in a community was that sometimes individual rights had to suffer for the rights of the group.

A community, by definition, was a gathering of interdependent people. They relied upon each other. Tila had learned to rely only on herself.

If he was in a gracious mood Theo could admit there was a certain kind of nobility to her selfishness, and in another time and place he would support her completely, but they lived here and now and stability and structure and rules were what New Haven needed if it was to continue to grow in safety. Tila didn't seem to believe in rules. At least, not his rules.

By contrast Ellie was little more than inoffensive charm with golden hair. She was a good influence on Malachi. Tila was not. Ellie was sweetness and laughter. Tila brooded. Ellie welcomed people and was eager to make friends. Tila glowered and kept to herself. Ellie would tightly weave each person she met into the tapestry of her life. Tila built walls to keep them out.

In many ways, Ellie was still the puppy. Tila was the wolf.

Perhaps it would always be that way.

Malachi still hadn't appeared and Theo was getting hungry. He sighed and decided he had waited long enough. He turned on his heel, marched back into his party and tried to cast aside, for a few hours at least, the loss of the past, the fears of the present and the burden of authority and fatherhood.

And besides, maybe there would be a cake.

The crowds had grown noticeably larger in the few minutes since Theo had left and returned. A small part of him was pleased. It was edifying to think that everyone had turned out especially for him even though the dearth of celebrations meant that any communal event was well-attended.

Theo pushed through the thickening crowds and exchanged pleasantries and handshakes.

Elsewhere, Ellie was still hunting for her friend, certain this task, like everything else in her life, would be easier if she were only a little taller.

A hand suddenly grabbed her around the arm and pulled her to the side of the thoroughfare. Ellie shrieked in surprise.

"Hey," said Tila.

"You made me jump!"

Tila dismissed Ellie's complaint with a wave of her hand. "Oh, you jump at everything. I've never known anyone so fragile. So?"