"the right kind of relationship"

Start from the beginning

Once we were outside, Maya was in the middle of locking the front door when she sighed to herself. "Oh, you guys go ahead. I have to run up and get something," Maya spoke as she turned toward me and I gave her a smile, figuring she was wondering if I would be okay on my own for a little while. She eventually smiled after reading into my expression and she unlocked the front door.

"We'll see you guys there," Michael told her and we both turned to walk to his car as Maya went back inside. I had the urge to race Michael there, but I remembered that I was supposed to be impressing him and that might not go over so well. Just as I reached for the handle of the passenger seat, Michael scooped down and placed his hand on the handle. "Not so fast, Crew." I took a step back as Michael spoke, and he stepped onto the other side of the door before opening it.

"Thank you," I told him. I sent him a smile before getting into his car. He closed the door once I was in and all I could do as I sat in his car alone was smile to myself.

It didn't take him long to get in on his side, however, and once he did, we didn't spend very long in the driveway.

"I missed bumping into you today... not that it's ever planned," Michael said, joking with me as he broke the silence in his car. "I might have ended up looking like a total idiot when I walked by your locker, but I don't think too many people noticed." I bit my lip as I held back a laugh and I looked over at him, staring at the side of his face as he kept his eyes on the road.

"Sorry I wasn't there... my Nan is an insane woman, and I was helping her out," I told him, figuring I might as well explain where I had been. "I really wish I could've seen you look like an idiot, though. It's a highlight of my day, you know." I saw the ends of Michael's lips curl into a smile and I felt myself become short of breath. I had a strange feeling being alone with Michael.

"So that's why Cal was over at Maya's? Because you were gone?" I coughed awkwardly at Michael's question, for an unknown reason, but eventually nodded my head.

"Yeah... I guess so," I told him, bringing my arms—that seemed to be awkwardly dangling—up to my chest and crossing them. "Did he tell you that?"

"Well, I swung by Fryer's last night... and saw his car," Michael explained and I continued to slowly nod my head. "I hadn't even thought about him not saying anything about it... but I guess he didn't. I think they're just friends, don't you?"

"Oh, of course," I told him. "I doubt Calum's searching for the right kind of relationship from Maya." Without thinking, I spoke on pure judgement and I closed my eyes as I hoped Michael wouldn't take that the wrong way. I was talking purely to keep a conversation going, and I wasn't giving any of my true thoughts. I didn't need Michael finding out that Maya might like Calum from me, so words were just coming out to keep the silence away.

"The right kind of relationship?" Michael asked and I sighed quietly before looking out my window. "Sam... have you ever been in a relationship?" Michael's question annoyed me, and how he posed it made it sound like he would be giving some sort of lousy excuse for having shitty relationships.

"No, Michael, I haven't... but I can assure you I still know what the right kind of relationship for Maya, and myself, is." I looked over at Michael, and he glanced over at me as I spoke.

"No, I wasn't trying to say you didn't know what you deserved," Michael said and his sweet tone of voice confused me. I tilted my head at him and saw him bite his lip as he looked back at the road. "I was just curious, that's all. I also know I probably shouldn't tell you this, because girls are shit at not telling their friends everything they hear, but if Calum is looking for anything, he's looking for the right kind of relationship."