"double date"

13: double date

"You wanna explain?" As we were stopped at a red light, Sam finally interrupted the silence between us that had begun the second I got into her car

"You wanna explain?" As we were stopped at a red light, Sam finally interrupted the silence between us that had begun the second I got into her car. I slowly looked over at her and my eyebrows knitted together tightly.

"What?" I asked, confused as to what she was referring to.

"I checked the blog this morning." My eyes shut as the words left Sam's mouth and I sighed quietly to myself. "You think you almost kissed him and you didn't text me about it? You think you like him?"

"Sam, I don't need you to interrogate me, Noah already—"

"I'm not interrogating you," Sam said, in a gentle voice. "I'm just hurt that you didn't call me, is all... I guess you didn't have much time to, but you didn't even let me know he came over last night. I guess I just wish you felt comfortable telling me about it before posting on your blog."

"Sam... I just didn't want you discouraging me," I told her, speaking softly as I hoped I wouldn't hurt her feelings. "I didn't think you would want to hear about it, I'm sorry—"

"No, don't be sorry. I'm sorry that I don't seem supportive," Sam said, looking over at me. "I know a week ago I would have ripped your head off if this was happening, but... that's not the case right now. I need to make sure you're being careful, of course, but I want you to talk to me about it. Especially if it's a good thing." Sam nudged my arm with her elbow and I smiled as I met her eyes. "So, explain! I want to hear everything."

"Well, nothing really happened... he was just really sweet all night. And we just talked, a lot. Not about anything, really, we just got to know each other. We wouldn't have kissed, no matter what, but the atmosphere just supported the scenario, if that makes any sense. I'm not into him, okay? He's still just as annoying, he just happens to be sweet sometimes, too." Sam smiled widely as she turned to look at the road, taking off once the light turned green. "Have you talked to Michael?"

"Oh, not really," Sam said, shaking her head. "He'll take some time... or maybe I'll take some time." Sam and I laughed at her own statement, and I breathed in deeply as I felt as though a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. "Did you say Noah interrogated you?" Sam asked, suddenly confused and curious.

"Oh... yeah," I said, coughing as I became uncomfortable. "He agreed last minute to give me a ride this morning, because I forgot to ask someone last night, and he asked me about Calum. He did a great job at making me feel like shit, but he apologized," I told Sam, giving her a sad smile.

"That's obnoxious of him, My," Sam assured me and I nodded, knowing she was right. "I think it's 'cause he likes you." My eyebrows furrowed as Sam spoke and I slowly shook my head.

"You know that's not true..." I said, almost hoping she'd interject and tell me she had been joking. "Right?"

"Oh, c'mon, Maya... he was so into you when we were growing up. That's why I didn't like him; he was always so obsessed with you that he didn't give me the time of day." Sam kept her eyes on the road and I slowly looked away from the side of her face, and at my hands that were laying in my lap. "I know he hasn't talked to us in a couple years, but that's so something a guy would do. Have a huge crush on a girl and spend years not talking to her just to become absorbed in the idea of her. Dudes are dumb."