🔽 Hangman 🔼

Start from the beginning

SMACK!

"How dare you insult Sasuke?!" Karin yelled.

The distant sound of a door creaking caught his attention. He wasn't looking forward to being dragged into another one of their idiotic messes. "Take it outside at least. You know what time of year it is."

They both promptly fell silent at that, whether out of respect for their leader or simply in contemplation, he didn't know and didn't care to ask as long as the final result was some much-needed silence. A few seconds later, a quiet figure appeared in the shadow of the doorway. He didn't say anything to the commotion-makers nor stopped to give a command, simply made his way to the table laden with shining new weapons.

It wasn't necessarily a good thing when Sasuke was quiet like that. He picked up the handgun, a 9 mm pistol and examined it with a detached air. He preferred knives to guns and so, there was a special set carefully placed on the side for him. The other members of his team watched warily, waiting for him to speak. He turned around, pocketing the knives and choosing the revolver. "We leave at four in the evening," he said, retiring to his room for the rest of the afternoon.

Multiple relieved exhales were heard as the door closed behind him.

"I thought I was a goner," Suigetsu breathed.

"You said it," nodded Karin.

The noise of violence and disturbance grew louder as more of the road disappeared behind them.

"Sounds like a gang war," Jugo deduced. "Best if we steer clear."

Narrowing his eyes, of course, Sasuke drove right toward its source. "I want to know who," said he. That it was the most they were going to get out of him, they all knew.

From a short distance, perched upon a rock, the sight of bloodshed and death was not new to him. The clearing off the road had become a small battlefield, the soil tainted in red. Truly disturbing was the fact how little it affected him. Just criminals killing other worthless criminals, he thought. It wasn't as if their lives were worth anything.

And he was in the same boat.

Sasuke was about to turn his back and walk away when one of the men caught sight of him. Recognition flashed across his eyes. Damn. Apparently, they were about to join this worthless battle.

The echo of gunshots that was fading now rose once again, blood spilling over the already dirty ground. There wasn't much to take cover here except the trees and the rocks. The civilians were either gone or dead by now and the police would be showing very soon.

Between watching out for himself and firing rounds in the opponents' direction, Sasuke tracked the other three members of his team too. Opponents thought he dully. As if they weren't people. Then again, they weren't; they were monsters, just like he was. He was in the middle of firing the next round when he saw the most unusual thing. The color was an odd presence when everything around was a dreary crimson and he chalked it to, perhaps, a trick of the light.

He didn't have time to contemplate on it though, because the next round fired was aimed at Karin and he watched her narrowly duck the bullet. Cursing under his breath, he made a beeline for her, making it in time to shoot a man right in his chest and pushing her out of the way of another bullet, narrowly missing it himself.

This time, it was there for sure. With the sun setting, there couldn't be that precise tricks of lights, after all, and yet he blinked over and over again, wondering if his tired mind wasn't showing him images. But his eyes found her in the middle of the stained, rotten field. Like a morning sun rising in the night. Like a fresh breeze blowing by a swamp. An out of place masterpiece. That fair pink couldn't be anyone else and when she spun around, promptly coming to a halt as well when she met his gaze dead-on, there was the unmistakable green of her eyes and the familiar stunned parting of her lips.