"Luke?" I asked.

"Yeah?" he murmured against my hair.

"There's something really wrong with that girl, isn't there?" I asked.

I felt him nod. "Yeah, I think so. Miles told me something the other night."

"What?"

He exhaled. "Iris is from Panama City, just like us."

I sat up and looked down at him. "What? Really?"

"Yeah."

"Did y'all go to school with her?"

"No. Miles said she went to a private school – but get this: her dad worked for William, my and Miles' birth father," he revealed.

"Wait, what? For real? Wasn't he a total dick?" I asked.

"That's the understatement of the century, but yeah. He wasn't a good guy," he said.

I chewed my lip. "So, what are you guys thinking? That he did something to Iris' father or something? And she's out for revenge?"

"Yeah, I think that's what Miles believes."

"Do you?"

He shrugged. "I didn't really before tonight. But when she showed up here the way she did... she's really determined. So you can bet I'll be watching out for Rachel at play practice."

"Good. That girl is seriously creepy," I yawned.

"Mmmhmm," he hummed, and in a few minutes, we were both asleep.

Rachel

Tech week had begun, and I began to understand why those in the theater call it "Hell Week." Professor Fairchild was fit to be tied; she expected everything to be perfect. And I guess it should be; we'd been rehearsing for weeks.

And if I did say so myself, it was pretty damn close. Luke and I had been practicing our duets at home, and we were completely in sync with all our lines.

But practicing every night with Iris was miserable. She didn't stop glaring at me, and it got so bad, that even Professor Fairchild noticed on Wednesday night.

"Ms. Tate, are you quite all right?" she asked Iris, stopping our run-through of "Summer Nights."

Luke and I glanced at each other, trying not to laugh.

"I'm fine, Professor Fairchild," Iris seethed through gritted teeth.

"I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be happy for Sandy during this song, not ready to claw her eyes out," Professor Fairchild commented, and the cast burst into laughter.

Iris faked a smile in my direction. "Sorry, Professor," she said, and we started the song over for the fourth time that night.

***

After practice, Luke and I were walking to my car together. It was after midnight, and we were both exhausted. Miles had asked Luke to glue himself to me when we were outside at night, so he had his arm around my shoulders protectively.

"Only one more night of tech week, then performances start," I sighed, laying my head on Luke's shoulder as we walked.

"I know... I'm ready." He laughed suddenly.

"What?" I asked, raising my head and looking at him.

"Did you ever think we'd be playing Danny and Sandy in a college theater production at freaking Florida State?" he asked.

I snorted. "Definitely not. But I think we've pretty much nailed it. I can't wait for everyone to see the performance. Are your parents coming?" I asked.

He nodded. "Of course. Yours?"

"I think they've bought tickets to all four performances," I joked.

Suddenly I heard a twig snap behind us. We both spun around and Luke stepped in front of me.

But there was no one there.

***

When we got home, Miles was waiting up for us on the couch.

"Hey babe," I said, surprised to see him. I sank down next to him on the couch and lay my head on his shoulder. "It's almost 1:00 am; you didn't have to wait up for us."

He held out his phone and I took it, looking at him quizzically.

"I didn't, but this text just woke me up, so I thought I'd wait up and show you," he said, his voice flat.

I looked at the photo and gasped. "What the fuck? Let me guess: Iris."

He nodded. "Yep."

Luke craned his neck and I showed him the photo.

"Wow. That's fucking stalker-ish as hell," he said, shaking his head.

It was a photo of me and Luke from behind, under a streetlight. He had his arm around my shoulders – taken less than ten minutes ago.

Miles shook his head. "Here's the message: Your girlfriend and your brother are fucking around behind your back. Are you ready to give me a chance yet?" He rolled his eyes and tossed his phone onto the coffee table.

"Miles, you know that's not – " I started, but Miles rubbed my knee.

"I know babe. But I am so sick of her crazy ass. I may go off on her the next time I see her," he fumed.

"Don't worry about it, Miles," Luke spoke up. "She's obviously mentally unbalanced. Don't let her get in your head."

Miles sighed. "You're right, bro. Just please keep an eye on Rachel. I don't want her going off again and getting herself suspended or something."

I glared at him playfully. "You're funny."

He grinned. "Let's go to bed, sweetheart." He stood up and I took his hand as he pulled me to my feet.

"Goodnight, Luke. See you tomorrow," I said, and he smiled at us.

"Goodnight y'all. Sleep tight – don't let the Irises bite," he teased.

I chucked a throw pillow at him on the way out.