"It was really hard for us," Lily Hamlyn took over the story. "The entire Hamlyn clan dispersed across Crystallea, changing names and burying our identities so Lord Victor wouldn't come after us too. Everyone thought the entire Wymond-Hamlyn family was dead. But seeing Charles and Christina right here, today...I still can't believe it. You made it out alive."

"I still wish Martha had contacted me," Melanie said wistfully. "I would've given anything to be able to see and talk to my sister one last time."

"Martha and Matthew took us in and saved our lives, then gave their lives so that we could escape with the children." I lowered my eyes. "We are forever in their debt."

"Why would Martha think of you so highly?" Melanie's gaze pinned me to the sofa I was sitting on. "She wouldn't just take in strangers and then die for them."

I looked at Aaron, and an understanding passed between us. "Martha and Matthew believe that we can stop Lord Victor," Aaron explained. "We've shown enough potential that they trusted us to bring Charles and Christina here."

Melanie looked at us, as if seeing through our souls. "I trust my sister, but the only people who can possibly defeat Lord Victor are the Rosewood Seven, and frankly, I haven't seen them pass by. As a revolutionary, however, I do admire your courage and determination; I wish you two the best of luck."

"Thank you." Aaron glanced outside through the window, then back at me. "Well, now that Charles and Christina and safe, Katherine and I will get going. We have a lot of mileage to cover."

"Oh, won't you stay for dinner? Or spend the night here? Villages become sparse as you head towards the Northern Mountains." Lily hurriedly spoke. Charles looked at me with big puppy eyes.

"I'm afraid not. As much as we would like to stay, we need to get to the Northern Mountains before the snow sets in. We really can't delay any longer."

"Kath, Aaron, don't leave us!" Charles hopped off the couch and clung to me, wrapping his arms around my leg. Christina stood up and blinked away tears. I ruffled Charles's hair lovingly and crouched down to be at eye-level with him. "I'm sorry, Charles, but Aaron and I have to go now. I promise we'll come back to visit you." Sniffling, Charles tried to be brave and nodded. Then he ran to Aaron and hugged him tightly. I turned to Christina and held her small hands in mine. "Christina, you are such an intelligent and courageous girl. I know it hasn't been easy for you, but you've been so brave. I've taught you enough that you can easily fight off any unskilled attacker. Remember to practice daily, and when you're old enough, either attend the Rosewood Academy or find another mentor. You'll be able to learn a lot more."

"Kath!" Christina burst into tears, her brave façade cracking once more.

I enveloped her in a tight hug, trying to keep my own emotions at bay. "We'll see each other again, I promise. In the meantime, protect yourself and your brother, okay?"

Christina pulled back from the hug, tears still streaking down her face. My heart ached for this young girl who carried a burden too heavy for her age. "Christina, I want you to have this." I untied my old sword from my waist. "My father gave me this when I was of age and passed the test to become a swordswoman. It's been with me for nearly ten years and brought me security and peace. I hope it can do the same for you." I handed the sword to Christina, who received it with both hands with awe.

"Thank you, Kath. I will use it well." A fresh batch of tears threatened to spill from her eyes. "I will become a great swordswoman just like you."