Part 11: Puzzle Pieces

Start from the beginning

"No it's fine, I like the company," she smiled and flicked through the Netflix reel.

My phone buzzed beside me, an unknown number appearing on the screen. I answered it before I could even think not to.

"Hello?"

"Alex! Hey, it's Kim don't hang up," my thumb automatically went to the end call button on my phone but I stopped myself. "I just spoke to Isaac and... can I come over?"

"I'm not home," I mumbled indignantly, not caring if I came off as rude.

"No, I meant to wherever you are, I promise I'm not trying to sweet talk you to go back to your place. Hand over heart."

I deliberated for a moment. She did sound genuinely concerned, and as much as I hated to admit it, maybe she did actually care.

I told her the address of a late night cafe near Lys's and told Lys I'd be back soon, giving her a brief explanation to which she cringed at.

I was sitting inside with a steaming cup of coffee in front of me while I waited for her to show up.

"Hey," she sighed in relief and pulled me up to hug her.

"Hi," I muttered, resuming my place while she took hers opposite me in her gym gear.

"I heard the news, Isaac told me everything,"

I rolled my eyes.

"Everything? Or his version of everything?"

"His version of everything, but I've known him long enough to know what's his and what is real,"

That brought a smile to my face. Maybe she wasn't so bad.

"Don't listen to him. He doesn't realise his flaws, but I did like your connection to Anna Karenina," she signaled over a waiter and ordered a green tea.

I laughed, to my surprise, which elicited a smile from her.

We chatted over how much of an idiot Isaac can be and classes and I somehow find myself offering for her to sit with me in Literature class.

What am I doing? Her positive attitude and kindness is just so ridiculously infectious. Maybe I had been too harsh on her, it's just her reputation precedes her and not in a good way.

I should've given her a chance to begin with. The only solace behind my disliking her was the fact that I never obviously showed it... that doesn't mean I want her dating Daniel though.

"How did that even happen? Asked Lys as I walked through the door at 10pm.

"I don't even know, honestly, I wish I could tell you," I huffed as I fell into the pillows on the couch.

"Please don't tell me she's roping you in too," she pouted beside me and I rolled on top of her playfully and to be annoying. She exhaled a squeazed breath and I laughed as I squashed her.

"Nah, never," I mumbled sarcastically and she kicked me off so I landed on the floor with a thud.

"Ow! Watch the hands!" I laughed as I whacked my elbow against the coffee table.

"You deserve it," she giggled as she made her way over to the kitchen.

***

I woke up in a pile of blankets and pillows on the couch and remembered that I didn't need to be up early with a sigh of relief. Lu did cross my mind and I wondered what she was up to. Was she with her parents? Stanford? Was she alone? The thought of her being alone all day made me feel uneasy. I wondered if Stanford would let me get her a phone so I could contact her...