Home Again

"I'm glad to hear you're back home safe. If you like, we can have a family roast at the weekend?"

Ellie looked out of the bedroom window and smiled. Her Dad couldn't hear a smile, of course, but that didn't matter. "Sure, Dad; that sounds great."

"Ok, I'll sort something out with Jason and text you the details."

"Talk to you soon."

"I know I don't say it much, but I love you with all my heart, Ellie."

"Thanks, Dad. I love you too."

The brunette took a deep breath as she put her phone back in her pocket. They'd been stuck in Hawaii for three days because of the storm and had only just got home again. Her Dad rang as soon as they got into the cafe like he was using a psychic-parent-sixth-sense. Jason had waited up for them, having prepared steak and a meal of some description for Bailey. All-in-all, Ellie felt like their trip away had been a blessing in more than one way, even if Robin hadn't got the 'quiet time' she'd planned for.

"What are you thinking about?"

As if hearing her thoughts, Robin's arms snaked around Ellie's waist, her head burrowing into the brunette's neck.

"Just how lucky I am, that's all."

"Would that be because I'm a brilliant wife who loves you so very much?" The blonde kissed her gently on her neck, soft and slow.

Ellie laughed a little bit, partially distracted by Robin's lips. "I was thinking about my Dad actually but I suppose you're right in a way."

Robin looked at the brunette, Ellie staring back at her for a split second before their lips crashed into one another. The moment sunk into a timeless freeze frame until Ellie's phone began to ring.

"We're never going to have a moment alone ever again, are we?" The blonde was being dramatic on purpose but Ellie saw her point.

"Hello?" She said, hoping it was a marketing call so she could continue what Robin had started.

"Ellie! Is it Ellie? Are you there? Hello!"

"Yes, this is Ellie speaking. Can I help you?"

"Hi, it's Mark. Sorry; I have a new phone and a new number to go with it. Decided calling you was easier than texting."

The brunette rolled her eyes to Robin. "Ok," she said, trying not to sound sarcastic. "That's great and all but I'm in the middle of something."

The blonde bit her lip and, for a moment, Ellie seriously considered throwing British politeness out of the window. Instead, she decided that ending the call promptly would be better in the end.

"I have your number now, so I'll text you later?"

"Well that's the thing," Mark said slowly. "I called you to arrange a meet-up of sorts."

"A meet-up?"

"Well, dinner, actually. If you're up for it?"

"It depends. When and where?"

There was a pause for a moment. Ellie could hear whispers on the other end of the line. Was he still with-

"How about tomorrow at seven at the Italian place on the high street? Is that ok with you and Robin?"

"Wait, Robin is invited?"

"Of course she is. She's your wife, Ellie. It would be rude not to have the both of you."

"Ok and who would you be bringing?"

There was another pause followed by hushed whispers.

"Soph."

Ellie's mouth went dry in an instant. She turned away from the blonde to stare out the window; her wife would know exactly what was going on if she could see her face.

"Is that a problem, Ellie?"

"Just answer me this, Mark. Who's idea was it to have dinner? Yours or hers?"

Silence again.

"It was my idea ok? We haven't talked since the community picnic. Anyways, Soph isn't as bad as you're making her out to be."

Ellie almost laughed as he spoke but kept it together - just. "Ok, we'll be there. See you tomorrow."

The blonde raised an eyebrow as she pulled the brunette towards her. "That didn't sound like fun?"

"No," the brunette mumbled. "I'm not sure it will be."

A/N: Uh oh... It seems the apocalypse is pretty nigh :s At least they have each other? At the moment? Oops I've said too much. Hope you enjoy folks and remember to leave a comment below XD