Just then, our food arrived and we ate quietly.

When we finished, I checked my watch and it was 11:45. "Y'all. The list will be up in 15 minutes. Let's go," I urged them, picking up our trash and practically dragging them out the door.

***

When we reached the theater ten minutes later, we stood outside the door with the rest of the students from our theater class.

At 11:59, Professor Fairchild came into the lobby with a flourish, taping the cast list to each of the doors.

"You will receive scripts tomorrow in class. All of you did incredibly well on your auditions. Thank you for your hard work!" she gushed.

Luke leaned over and whispered to us, "God, I hope I don't get Danny. Maybe I'll just get Doody or Sonny."

I snorted.

When she went back inside, we gathered around the doors.

Grease Cast List - Fall 2020

Sandy Dumbrowski: Rachel Cross

Danny Zuko: Luke Salazar

I didn't look at the rest of the list. Grinning, I turned around to face Miles. "I got the lead," I murmured, not wanting to sound like I was bragging.

"Wow, babe! That's excellent!" he exclaimed, picking me up and spinning me around.

I giggled. "Luke got Danny," I whispered.

He laughed, looking over at Luke's pale face.

"Oh, shit," Luke breathed. "I should've sucked up the audition, huh?"

"Come on, Luke! It'll be great. At least we're the leads together!" 

He nodded. "True."

Miles grinned. "You're gonna be kissing my girl again, bro. Better tread carefully," he joked, elbowing Luke in the ribs.

We both slugged him on each arm at the same time, and he started laughing.

He looked at something over my shoulder and a confused look crossed his face.

"What? What is it?" I asked, turning around.

"Do you see that girl over there?" he asked, gesturing with his chin in what he thought was a subtle manner.

"The one with the glasses?" I asked.

"Yeah. Who is she?"

"She's in our theater class," Luke said. "She usually sits in the back and doesn't talk much."

"Damn. That's a small world. She's in my Hydraulic Engineering class too," he said.

"Oh yeah? Do you know her?" I asked.

"Not really. She talked to me after class yesterday after Dr. Douchebag made a fool out of me in front of everyone, and she was a little awkward. I think she said her name is Iris?" His face contorted and he forced a smile. "Oh shit, she saw me," he gritted through his teeth.

I bumped him with my hip. "Be nice," I muttered. "Hi!" I said brightly as she approached.

"Hi," she said shyly, looking at Miles.

I twisted my mouth in amusement. "I'm Rachel," I said, extending my hand graciously.

She hesitantly took my hand and shook it, her grip a little wilted. "I'm Iris."

"Nice to meet you, Iris. This is Luke, and it appears you already know my boyfriend, Miles," I said pointedly.

Her face turned red. "Yeah - um - we have a class together," she said, fiddling nervously with the lanyard on her keys.

"Yeah, she's in the class with Dr. Douchebag," Miles confirmed.

"Ah. Hey, what part did you get?" I asked, pointing toward the cast list.

Her face turned even redder. "Oh, I - uh - I got Jan," she mumbled.

Oh, man - the "Brusha Brusha Brusha" beaver girl. How unfortunate.

"Cool!" I said instead. "She's a fun part - and we'll get to work together."

She nodded reluctantly. "I was really hoping for Rizzo, but..." She trailed off, looking over at the tall, voluptuous, raven-haired beauty who had been given that part.

I shrugged. "It's all good, girl," I said brightly, trying really hard to ignore the way she was staring at my Miles.

She shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot. "Yeah - well, I gotta go," she said, waving at us, her eyes landing on Miles and staying there just a little too long.

"Bye," the three of us said in uneasy unison.

As she disappeared out the door into the October sunshine, I raised my eyebrows at Miles.

"I think you have an admirer," I stated bluntly.

He rolled his eyes. "Je-sus," he groaned. "Why me?"

Luke laughed. "Because! You're, like, so totally dreamy," he prattled, earning a glare from Miles.

I couldn't help but laugh. "Come on, babe. It's cute."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "It is not. It's totally cringe-worthy."

I shrugged. "Yeah, it kind of is. But look, I think I put my claim on you. She knows you're mine."

He growled at me playfully. "Damn right."

"