Chapter 35 - Bethany POV

It's been almost a total of three and a half months since I had last seen any kind of trace of Joseph Graham Sugg. I had landed two days ago and I've been staying at the Zalfie household, not leaving the side of Alfie. Saying bye to Shawn was sad and hard, as would saying goodbye to any best friend would be but it should be fine. I would see him soon when we would go on tour together then I'd probably get insanely sick of him. 

Being at the Zalfie house brought back so many memories, I almost cringed at the sight of my empty room in their house and the places Joe and I used to spend, it was like I saw him or at least the ghost of him lurking where our memories were made. Zoe had been a little bit distant too, not because of Joe but I think she knew to be cautious, unsure of what to say to me. It was hard and I got it. They're siblings after all.

On top of all that, being away from Zoe made it easier since no one knew about my tour or my album, they would all find out when it drops on December 30. The only person who really knew even a little bit about it was Alfie and I had to force him to sign a disclosure as per Andrew's request. Besides, by the time my album was out I would be back in LA by then, having my album launch party.

And now, it was the annual Zalfie Christmas party, on the night of December 23 and I honestly didn't have the guts to go. I knew Joe would be there.

"Beth, you really don't have to come tonight," Alfie said as he sat in my room, watching me get ready for the Zalfie Christmas party.

"I want to Alf," I told him from the mirror as I fixed the dress I was wearing, a maroon velvet bodycon dress that had a low back and three-quarter sleeves. Sure I was in a hole about what Joe did to me but regardless, Zoe was a friend and I needed this. I needed to socialize and put on a brave face. I needed to pretend I was okay.

"Okay but if you wanna leave just let me know," Alfie said and I nodded, picking up my clutch. We walked out of the Zalfie house and into Alfie's car, the drive to the venue of the Christmas party silently. Alfie or anyone really knew that it was better to bring up who was going to be there tonight, but I knew he along with my other friends I'd left in Brighton like Gabbie and Hobbie who I got close to before I left would be watching me tonight like hawks.

"Come on," Alfie said to me cautiously, stopping the engine of his car, walking with me into the venue. It was a proper, elegant party and it was beautiful. I walked into the venue, cautiously, unsure of who I was going to see, but who only meaning one very specific person.

I looked around the room slowly, my eyes scanning the crowds.

"Bethy Girl!" I heard, my head snapping to see Hobbie and Gabbie, I felt immediately grateful that they were here, I definitely needed them for support tonight.

"Hey, you two!" I said hugging both of them.

"Bethany Deyes you look smokin'," Hobbie said, checking me out and I rolled my eyes. I will admit that this dress hugged me in all the right places.

"Thanks, Hobbs," I said he nodded.

"Bethany!" I heard again, looking to see Zoe who was now by Alfie's side. I felt her engulf me in a hug and I hugged her back.

"Hey, Zoe!" I said and she smiled.

"Hey, Beth! it means so much that you're here tonight." Zoe said and I smiled tightly.

"I wouldn't miss it Zo," I said back to her, allowing her to squeeze my hand and then turning around to walk away. Zoe had been so busy preparing for this that I rarely saw her at the house, she was gone by the time I woke up and I was asleep by the time she got back jetlag, what can I say.

"We're here for you all throughout the night you know?" Gabbie said and I nodded.

"Of course, thank you both," I said and they smiled, they were the best friends I could ask for.