Chapter 9 - Joe POV

JOE POV:

"Hey, Joe is Beth not awake yet?" Alfie asked as he came to join me at the table where I held a glass of apple juice and toast, trying to nurse away the slight hangover I felt.

"Uh, no I didn't see her yet," I said to Alfie, my mind wandering over to the night before more specifically that kiss. That kiss has been replaying in my mind like a movie and it has been messing me up. I don't know what to say or how to act around Bethany. It was torture but I wouldn't change it. Last night wasn't a blur that's for sure but there was something different with Bethany. I didn't know what to say to her anymore it was like that kiss had changed our relationship entirely even though it wasn't meant to mean anything.

I heard footsteps and I perked up, honestly praying it was Bethany but it wasn't. I watched as Zoe came down the stairs and I sighed, going back to my hunched position to continue eating my toast. I looked back up at Zoe who was actually dressed and ready for the day which was strange, she usually ate breakfast before doing anything with her day.

"Where are you going?" I asked and Zoe looked at me.

"I have a meeting today with Alfie, we won't be long probably back by three," Zoe said and looked over at Alfie, who stood up from his seat, carrying his smoothie. The one everyone saw on the vlogs and that he raved about for being healthy or whatever.

"We'll see you, Joe. Let Beth know." Alfie said, his overprotective brotherly side coming out and I nodded. I stayed in my seat, checking my phone and finishing my toast until I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. My breath hitched at the sound. That was Bethany. For sure that was Bethany unless there was a fucking ghost.

"Morning Joe!" Bethany said, chirpy and happy. She looked like she hadn't even gone out the night before and she honestly didn't look as distressed as I was about that whole kiss. Maybe it didn't mean anything to her after all.

"Morning," I said back to her, looking at the girl who was wearing my sweatshirt and her pajama shorts, but my sweatshirt was so long on her that it looked like she was just wearing my sweatshirt. I mentally curse myself for even thinking of Bethany almost naked.

Dammit, Joe get your head out of the gutter.

"Where's Alfie?" Bethany asked as she came back from the kitchen, a glass of apple juice in one hand and her yogurt in the other.

"They had a meeting but they'll be back around three," I explained, repeating the words that my sister had told me minutes ago and she nodded.

"Darn it, I wanted to go to the Brighton Pier," Bethany said annoyed, taking a spoonful of yogurt into her mouth.

"We can go if you want?" I asked tentatively and Bethany looked at me, wide-eyed and with a smile.

"Yes! I'd love that!" She said and then pressed her phone to look at the time. "Let me get ready and we can go?" She asked and I nodded, not sure of what I should say to the girl. I honestly never knew what to say to Bethany, not since her lips touched mine at least. I watched as she picked up her yogurt and drink and walking towards the stairs to her room to change just as quickly as she came in.

-----------------------------

The Brighton Pier, as usual, was insanely windy and cold.

"I swear I never anticipate the cold weather anymore," Bethany said shivering as she pulled her jacket closer to her and I laughed.

"Do you want my hat?" I asked and Bethany looked at me with a small smile.

"You definitely don't have to give me your hat." She said very unconvincingly and I shook my head and moved to stand in front of her, stopping her at her tracks. I removed my red beanie and gently placed it on her head, making sure it was covering her ears.