Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

The first couple of months I felt sick and tired, and new was spreading round the world that Anne had had a third child, which made me even more excited. I was going into the village today, that was how I wanted the kingdom to find out. Carefully sheltering my body with my cloak I went out, it was another piano day today. I hadn't been out for three or four months because I was sick.

I approached the square, some villagers greeting me. And I heard Joshua singing and playing. My cloak parted a little and I caressed my bump. A woman noticed and questioned, I simply nodded and turned back to listen. He ended his song and then smiled at me and noticed my hands. I moved them away quickly, and smiled back. I noticed the woman out the corner of my eye talking about me and it spreading around the square, I gestured to an alley and Joshua joined me. He hugged me,

"Careful," I cautioned him,

"So this is why no one has seen you," he sighed.

"Yes, been horribly sick," I joked,

"I bet Jack and your family are ecstatic," he said with sarcasm

"It would be happier if Mother hadn't become ill, so has Jack. It's seems it spreading round the castle. I haven't seen her for two weeks." I sighed. He carefully hugged me this time and kissed my head.

"Could the child be..." He looked into my eyes, I had never thought of that. There was a possibility, my eyes widened at realisation.

"I've never thought of that, I mean-"

"Just pretend I never said anything," he held me close but gently putting his chin on my head,

"I have to leave, gathering today."

"Oh right, I still love you Amelia," I said goodbye and left the alley. All through walking I heard congratulations. I smiled in response and thanked some. For once I was greeted by my father,

"How is mother?" I asked as I placed my cloak to a side,

"I suppose getting better but Jack isn't, he's the same." He sighed, I wanted to see them both. I tied my mousy hair up in a pony tail to keep it out my way.

"Take me to see mother then Jack please,"

"But the baby-" he started

"Will be fine father, please" I begged him, I had valid reasons. If they were never going to recover I would never see them again so I needed too. First we approached mothers room, we opened the door and she smiled at me.

"Oh Amelia, I'm so glad to see you." She croaked, I went and sat on her bed beside her. She stroked my hair down my back and held my hand.

"Father says your getting better," I started,

"Yes I feel better also, I can't wait to see the little one grow," she placed a hand on my small bump.

"I need to see Jack,"

"I hope he gets better, for your child." I smiled weakly, feeling guilt inside. I stood and kissed my mother on her forehead. My father lead me out and went to kiss my mother. As we walked down he warned me that Jack wasn't looking his usual healthy bright eyed self. We entered his room and his face lit up, he really wasn't well, he lay in bed under covers looking out the window with a tray of food beside him.

"Not eating?" I moved the tray aside for a moment,

"I hadn't gotten round to it yet, how are you and our child?" He placed his hand where the child in question was.

"We are alright, do you feel any better?" I put my hand to his head, he was pretty hot in temperature.

"Oh yes, from yesterday, I miss you"

"I miss you too," I replied,

"I'll get better, I promise. Enough for our child." He smiled the best he could, I kissed him on the forehead and left the room.

"Time for the gathering," father put his arm around my shoulder as we went down to the hall. As we walked carefully down the hall, Albert and Alex ran past us, causing father to shout and run after them. I laughed inside and walked following them.

Inside we all the dignitaries once again, and I couldn't see Anne or the sisters. Probably stayed home to help look after her son. I was hoping for a son, but with either I would be happy. People turned at my arrival as they had with others, and clapped in congratulations. Like in the village I smiled and thanked some. Abbys was here and I hadn't seen her for a long time, so I decided to go and talk to her.

"Hello Amelia, congratulations!" She gently hugged me,

"Thank you Abbys," we parted our hug, she didn't look to bad herself

"Where is Jack?" She looked around, I frowned and her eyebrows burrowed together with concern,

"He has been ill, getting better though. So is my mother."

"Oh right, we heard. Im glad they are getting better. I bet he can't wait"

"Neither can I," I told truthfully.

~~~~~ 5 months later~~~~~

Luckily during my pregnancy Jack had gotten better, so had mother. Now she was up and about. Sorting things my father had neglected when she was ill. I lay in my bed tucked in my sheets sitting up. Hadn't moved for a few day, going from my usual agile thinner self to a swollen sore back pregnant woman wasn't easy. I was playing with the sheets a little. My hair was on my shoulders as I felt my soon to be born child move around. I placed my hand where I felt the movement. I was excited that it was near to it arriving. A knock came at my door.

"Your highness, you have an audience, a Mr J Tanner.", I shouted back to let him in and I straightened up a little, hurting my back in the process.

"You shouldn't be doing that," his scolding voice came from my door. He walked in and sat on my bed,

"Yeah yeah well, I need to sit up for an audience." I went on struggling to straighten up.

"It's only me," I pondered the fact and gave up trying. I exhaled loudly and place my hands on the thing holding me here.

"You look beautiful still," he commented, I blushed. I hadn't seen him for a while considering my condition.

"Why thank you, so why have you requested an audience," I tried to say poshly, he just chuckled at me.

"Just to see how you were, Maisy was asking after you, it's her birthday in a couple of days,"

"Ah well if I hadn't of come before noon she can request an audience." I smiled at him, he smiled back.

"Well I better be off, and would you look at that, I have to leave," I rolled my eyes as he walked to the door, "Farewell," he waved

"Farewell" I waved back, caressing my bump. I lay back to nap for a while. It was cosy and warm in my bed.

I woke a couple of hours later, in so much pain. I screamed out for the maid who came bustling in, they went to fetch my mother. All I could do was scream aloud and breathe. I heard at the door Jack wanted to come in but I and the maids refused to let him in. I was in pain for hours but it was all worth it. Every last bit of energy I had to use. At the end of it all I had what I had been waiting for, for months.

I was all cleaned up and mother walked over to me with my little boy in her arms. I reached out for him and he fit snugly in my arms. Jack was finally let in and he was beaming. He walked to my side and sat beside me on my bed

"He's beautiful," was all I could say, his eyes were fluttering open.

"Just like you," Jack kissed the side of my head and went back to looking at the baby.

"Agree on the name?" I looked up to Jack and he nodded,

"Hello Little Arthur," Arthur held my finger with all his little ones. Right now his eyes were a deep brown almost grey, but that was expected to change. When I first saw his eyes I saw Josh. His few strands of hair were my colour and he had cute chubby cheeks.

My food was brought in for me and Arthur had to be put in his Moses basket, even as reluctant as I was to let him go. The food was nice and it tasted different. I could finally move around in my sleep.