chapter 1 -edited

Start from the beginning

I sighed, moving on.

Marcus p.o.v.

I growled.

In front of all the unmated females lined up from one of my neighboring packs, I skimmed my hand across each female's hand......nothing. None of the faces before me were my mate. To find your mate, you have to have skin-to-skin contact, and then you pick up on their scent. Mates are particular; they are the one person you were meant to end up with., hand-picked from our god, Selene or the moon godess. It had been years since I had been supposed to find my mate, and I was slowly running out of hope that I would see her and the potentia pack wouldn't have a Luna; potentia meaning powerful in Latin, so we would be the powerful pack...the name was passed on.

"Marcus, I need you to calm down; you're scaring the ladies," Kyle said, interrupting my thoughts. Kyle is my beta. We were like brothers since the day we met. Kyle and I met at my parent's funeral after the rogues had killed them. He offered me candy, and was confident I couldn't beat him at basketball. Once my parents died, my older cousin Jace helped raise me and my sister Beth, Kyle's mate.

The ladies all fled the room, looking uncomfortable. "I'm just frustrated," I stated, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"you'll find them, dude," he tried assuring me. Kyle was one of the only ones I accepted informal speech and actions with because we were best friends.

"Any word on how patrol is going tonight?" I asked, desperate to escape the conversation of another failed attempt to find my mate.

His face stiffened. "We have word on a rogue going through one of the smaller towns to the east."

Rogues were something that only happened sometimes.

Most wolves thrive by having a pack to be in; those that weren't part of packs were rogues and unpredictable, so they were treated as threats immediately. Personally, I hated rogues; they killed my parents and were a nuisance to my pack.

"If you don't let go of your desk, we will have to buy you another one, and I don't think you want to explain to your future Luna why you have a budget for desks," Kyle laughed, adding, "We will catch him, rogues haven't gotten the best of us before."

I lightened my grip on my desk so I didn't crack it. Using an alpha tone, I ordered, "Get Tyler, Miles, and Josh to do a patrol." The alpha tone was a gift from the moon goddess to get my pack members to do what I said. The moon goddess is our higher form; she is the reason shifters shift, and mates exist. Mates are hand-picked by the moon goddess herself.

Kyle nodded without hesitation, leaving me alone to get the rogue paperwork ready to be filled out.

Alex p.o.v.

On my way to the fresh section, where I could find cooked foods like mac&cheese, mashed potatoes, and other premade ready-to-eat meals, I found myself getting lost in how many items they sell at small stores, once I got to the section I was looking for I stuffed two ready to eat meals in my hoodie pocket and headed swiftly for the exit. The rule was to take as little as possible and not make eye contact.

'a Wolf is following you on your right side,' Cleo hissed sharply in my mind; she was right. I could smell him and more outside the store.

Well, at least I knew I was in pack territory.

Continuing to the door, I tried acting unsuspicious, but considering the majority of the world was werewolves and could smell that I was a stranger, I doubted that would work, but here goes nothing.

My legs carried me as far as the exit door before a tall blond boy cut off my escape line. "rogue," he spat.

"I'm human," I stated before I could think.