Chapter 12

"Why did her mind break? What could she possibly be guilty about?" Edaline shouted to Elwin frantically. "Can't you do something? Have Alden or Tiergan, someone, anyone do something?"

There seemed to be a large elephant in the room. Fitz spoke first, "I can search her mind. I should be strong enough." The elephant gained weight extremely fast. It suffocated everyone.

"No Fitz. I won't let you do that." Spoke Alden. Fitz seemed most surprised that it was his dad, who had supported Sophie and Fitz becoming cognates in the first place, who didn't want him to do it. "The guilt might consume you too."

"Isn't Sophie worth it?" Fitz asked, questioning how much his dad actually cared about Sophie.

Alden said nothing.

"Apparently not, dad." Fitz taunted.

"It's not that, Fitzroy. It's the fact that her mind is the strongest in the Elvin world. The guilt might consume you like a storm that you cannot control." Alden said softly.

Whimpers came from the corner where Biana and Dex sat, both staring at the mumbling, broken Sophie. Dex was comforting Biana, while giving Alden the ultimate death stare. The look screamed 'Sophie is worth it. Don't say otherwise.' Alden shrugged, and Biana paled. "Dad, I can't. How can you say Sophie isn't worth it? No matter what any of us did to her, she never stopped pursuing friendship and saving us in our time of need. It's our time to return the favor. Tiergan can train Fitz right?"

Biana turned to the Granite-Tiergan combo, both rock and blonde hair showing through. The powder he swallowed was wearing off. "I think there is something I could do."

---
Another short chappie but it will get better. I promise that this is not a filler. It's close to the good part. Hang in there.