Chapter 9

"WAIT, WHAT?!" Sophie shouted, her voice echoing through the room. "You-u-u w-want m-e-e to talk to F-fitz?" Biana and Dex nodded.

"You haven't been sleeping, or studying, or practising telepathy. It's really out of the ordinary for you. We are honestly concerned."

"Well, you shouldn't be concerned. I know whats good for me, unlike Fitz." Sophie snapped back at them, their startled faces becoming... well, horrified.

"Sophie," Dex coaxed, "you have to talk to him eventually. He has been asking whats wrong, and we don't know how to answer." Sophie started stumbling and started to collapse until Dex grabbed her in his newly strong arms and carried her to her bed. 

"Dex... I don't want to. I don't want to." The second time, Sophie seemed more sure of herself. Biana and Dex shared a look. 

"Okay, we won't do anything," Biana answered for Dex, "yet," she said quieter. "How about' I go and put the bottle in the cave, where we usually leave it, and I will be back here in about 5-10 minutes. Sound good?" She then gave a look to Dex, as if saying, 'you deal with her.'

Sophie shook her head and said, "Nooooo... Dex has to go with you." Recognition flickered across Biana and Dex's face. More on Dex though because he was remembering the time that he and Sophie were kidnapped and tortured by the Neverseen. 

"Okay, okay. How about we compromise. I get Grady to come with me, and Dex stays with you?" Sophie shrugged nonchalantly, but still tense. She nodded slightly, and Biana took it as a yes. "Okay, bye!! See you soon." She strolled out of the room with a bounce in her step. 

Dex looked over at Sophie, feeling bad that she was, like this. I need to take matters into my own hands, don't I? Dex thought. I mean what else could he do. He started towards Sophie gently and scooped her up in his arms, and she started struggling. It didn't have much effect on him though, his muscles acting as a barrier. Then she started screaming. He tried shushing her, but decided on putting his hands over her mouth. He was going to take her to see Wonderboy, Fitz.

------

Fitz was looking out the window of the infirmary in Eternalia, awaiting the next patient to come into the sterile, pale blue room. The surprisingly calm fluorescent lights made it seem welcoming, maybe more than his fake smile. A flash near the leapmaster was nothing new to Fitz, other than the fact that this time, it was Dex, carrying a struggling Sophie. He stood up so fast, he got dizzy. He rushed out the doors, his emotions running high. What could possibly be wrong? Why was she being carried? Is she okay? 

"Fitz, thank goodness. Sophie is a little..." Dex's hand came up to his ear, and went in a swirly, twirly motion... "crazy" Dex finished. 

Fitz was concerned for his dear Sophie, whom he had missed so very much. "What..." Fitz cleared his throat, "happened?"

"She hasn't been sleeping, and since you guys are almost cognates, I thought you could figure something out."

"She hasn't talked to me in 2 months. What am I supposed to do?" Fitz asked in an agitated voice. How could he help his almost cognate if he didn't know for sure what was exactly wrong?

"Can we, uh, go inside. My arms are going numb." Dex said in a strained, but determined tone.

"Yes, follow me," Fitz said, equally determined and strained. 

They stepped over the wide barrier between the steps and the door. "Here, set her there," Fitz said clearing off the white, padded bench for the patients, while Dex's eyes wandered around the room, stopping on each and every piece of furniture.

"Biana should be here any minute now," Dex said remotely. His focus on something other than Sophie.

Fitz put on the glasses while holding her hand. His eyes moved from her face, down to her stomach, and back up to her head. His eyes narrowed as he looked at her eyes. He sighed, "Dex we have to use a sedative." 

"Oh great... she's going to be even madder at me." He looked over at Sophie, who was staring at Fitz wide-eyed with fear. Fitz sped over to the nearest cabinet, that was filled with elixirs of all types. Some were bright orange, while others were a bright neon green. He picked out a purple, sickeningly sweet smelling elixir. A sedative. 

All of a sudden, Biana stomped in with a pitiful and angry look on her face. She seemed to be mad that they left without her but also felt sorry for the confused, angry Sophie. "Oh, Sophie. I am so sorry. I never wanted Dex to take you here, but he convinced me that you needed to come here for Fitz to help you. I'm so so so so so sorry." Sophie looked at Biana, her eyes pleading for help. Biana thought, Why isn't she talking? Can't she talk? "Sophie, can you talk?" Sophie shook her head, pointing at Fitz, then closed her eyes. 

Coldness entered Biana's mind and she heard the soothing voice of Sophie, "I don't want to talk because I have nothing to say to Fitz. And I am not fine so if I talk, he will think I am fine." Silence returned again to Biana's mind. What could possibly be wrong?